History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sibson-cum-Stibbington, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.5746 / 52°34'28"N

Longitude: -0.3924 / 0°23'32"W

OS Eastings: 509041

OS Northings: 298632

OS Grid: TL090986

Mapcode National: GBR GY5.HMP

Mapcode Global: WHGMB.YKB3

Plus Code: 9C4XHJF5+R2

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 25 September 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1222331

English Heritage Legacy ID: 414087

Location: Sibson-cum-Stibbington, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE8

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Sibson-cum-Stibbington

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Castor with Upton and Stibbington and Water Newton

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TL 0898
(East Side)
11/119 No. 41 (The
House formerly the rectory. Early to mid C17 (qv The Haycock, Wansford,
Cambs.) with late C18 and mid C19 alterations and additions. Coursed
limestone rubble with freestone and ashlar dressings. Collyweston stone
slated roofs. Two storeys with attics, main east-west range with original
three unit plan and cross passage to east end; one storey and attic and
single storey kitchen and dairy ranges to east, staircase wing to north and
porch to rear entrance mid C19. South facade: Parapet gables with end stack
to right hand, ridge stack with four shafts and tall additional side stack to
north-east with two shafts of ashlar, rebuilt brick stack to kitchen range.
Plastered coved eaves cornice with moulded stone string; continuous moulded
label extended into kitchen range; chamfered plinth. Ovolo moulded mullioned
and transomed casement windows, two of three lights and one with two lights
and similar lights above doorway to right hand with C19 panelled door; C19
stone mullioned bay window to left hand. Five first floor three-light and one
two-light ovolo moulded mullioned and transomed casement windows. Five
segmental headed dormer windows. North facade: Blocked openings of original
windows and former doorways, reused C15 window tracery; C19 porch with
parapet gable supported on shaped corbels surmounted by Gothic finials;
chamfered jambs and head to doorway with panelled door. Interior: Early C17
staircase, rebuilt, with closed string and turned balusters; four stone
chimney pieces with mannerist detail and moulded stone cornices to central
ground and first floor rooms, two with over mantels with sunk panelled
pilasters. Sealed kitchen hearth originally with baking oven; inserted
partitions with C18 panelled doors and C17 boarded attic doors; staggered butt
purlin roof.

V.C.H. Huntingdonshire, p217
R.C.H.M. Huntingdonshire, p235
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p348
Huntingdon Archd. Records. Terrier and Map. 1707

Listing NGR: TL0904198632

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.