This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3338 / 53°20'1"N
Longitude: -2.2464 / 2°14'47"W
OS Eastings: 383688
OS Northings: 381899
OS Grid: SJ836818
Mapcode National: GBR DYRW.GN
Mapcode Global: WHBB7.GGJM
Entry Name: Pownall Hall (School)
Listing Date: 7 December 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1222471
English Heritage Legacy ID: 414633
Location: Wilmslow, Cheshire East, SK9
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Wilmslow
Built-Up Area: Wilmslow
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Wilmslow St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 88 SW WILMSLOW FORMER U.D. CARRWOOD ROAD
1/271 Pownall Hall (School).
Formerly large house, now school: c.1833 for James Pownall, major
internal and some external alterations 1886-90 supervised by
William Ball for Henry Boddington. Some C20 alterations. Ashlar
pink sandstone, cream brick to sides and rear. Red tile roof and 2
stone chimneys with octagonal stacks. 2-storey, symmetrical 7-bay
front (1:2:1:2:1). Castellated parapet. End bays have octagonal
buttresses and windows are ornate Gothick sashes with carved heraldic
panels between. Central 5 bays are taller and have angle buttresses
at the end. 15-pane sashes below, 12-pane sashes above, both with
hood moulds, but the lower ones above ogee heads with carved heraldry
in the spandrels. Projecting buttressed, castellated porch has a
similar ogee head over an oak board door with remarkable Art Nouveau
furniture. Much carving of pedigrees and heraldry inside the porch.
12-pane sash above and arms of Richard Pownall in triangular pediment.
4 tile hung dormers behind castellations.
Interior: is sumptuous with much of the work done by the Century
Guild and to a lesser extent Morris and Co., though some of the
original furnishings and fittings are now lost. Most rooms have a De
Morgan tiled fireplace, stained glass panels by Shrigley and Hunt and
furniture and fittings designed by Mackmurdo.
Entrance Hall: is as late Medieval great hall; heavy panelled ceiling
has one beam carved with the names of patron, architect and local
craftsmen. Stone fireplace carved with personifications of Norse
days of the week and has pair of brass gas lamps and reflectors. Fine
stained glass panels of signs of the zodiac. Oak well staircase with
2 rails and no balusters, formerly had deep alcove at mezzanine level
with large window showing the 4 winds (now blocked off from hall by
overmantel; window lights backstairs).
Dining Room: to left of hall has large fireplace with mantelshelf
carried on a large pair of gilded atlantes by Benjamin Creswick and a
central painted panel by Selwyn Image. Some typical Mackmurdo
woodwork and firegrate. Frieze has packs of dogs head on and running
swags of thistles above. Ceiling has central elliptical panel with a
border of apples. Glass depicts the months of the year in the manner
of Books of Hours. Finely chased brass door furniture.
Drawing room: to right of hall. Walnut doors, rails and fireplace
with pale marquetry detailing. Similar door furniture. Overmantel
has a pair of triple, typical Mackmurdo, slender columns with an Art
Nouveau capital. Glass shows heads of Roman deities.
Library: to rear of hall, has fitted bookcases, desks and seating.
Art Nouveau carved overmantel has painted plaster panels of the 7 Ages
of Man and a tableau from "As you like it" by J D Watson. Glass panel
of Chaucer and Dante.
Bedrooms: each carved with Fytton being the best. This has exposed
timber framing above a panelled dado and is divided into separate
sleeping, dressing and sitting areas. Art Nouveau details to screen
in front of the fireplace, and 2 fitted wardrobes. De Pownale is main
bedroom, but somewhat denuded glass panels show angels and it has
keyhole bath and shower with De Morgan tiles. Bollyn has an inscribed
hood over the bed and Dovecote has glass panels showing an owl
awakening and sleeping.
Day Nursery: open to roof with exposed trusses, walls have fluted
pilasters and mural over the fireplace. Window seats have finely
carved panels and bench ends. At one end is a music gallery above the
A remarkable interior if somewhat denuded that developed over 10 years
with the Century Guild providing many details and fittings from 1886
onwards. Pevsner comments that "The result is unique in its
presentation of the most advanced the Arts and Crafts could do in
1886-90". The house is full of inscriptions mainly to establish Henry
Boddington's place in the ownership of Pownall Hall. See Pevsner and
Hubbard, and T Raffles Davison, "A Modern County House (A review of
Pownall Hall)". The Art Journal 1891, 329-334 and 351-357
Listing NGR: SJ8368881899
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings