History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tate Gallery

A Grade II* Listed Building in City of Westminster, Westminster

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4911 / 51°29'28"N

Longitude: -0.1278 / 0°7'40"W

OS Eastings: 530071

OS Northings: 178570

OS Grid: TQ300785

Mapcode National: GBR HM.GN

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.QSS8

Entry Name: Tate Gallery

Listing Date: 5 February 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1222913

English Heritage Legacy ID: 418231

Location: Westminster, London, SW1P

County: Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: Vincent Square

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Stephen Rochester Row

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 2078 NW and 2978 NE MILLBANK, SW1

1900/105/36; 1900/106/9 Tate Gallery

GV II*

Public gallery. 1897, by Sidney R.J. Smith, additions in 1909, 1926 by W Romaine Walker, Duveen Galleries added by John Russell Pope, architect of the National Gallery in Washington DC, with Romaine Walker and Jenkins opened in 1937, 1970s rear extension in galleries 25-30 and Turner (Clore) Gallery wing to north by James Stirling (1984-85). Portland stone, glazed and leaded roofs. Late Victorian grand manner with freely handled Baroque features concentrated on portico-entrance pavilion (somewhat to the detriment of the overall composition). Symmetrically planned grid of top lit galleries with corner pavilions and central axis marked by prominent projection of porticoed entrance pavilion containing arched and vaulted vestibule followed on axis by octagonal hall and principal gallery behind, the whole raised on rusticated basement. The pedimented Corinthian portico, crowned by figures of Britannia and Lion and Unicorn, is approached by broad flight of steps with balustraded parapet swept out around the terrace enclosing the entrance pavilion. The blind flank walls have entablature and balustraded parapet broken forward over corner pilastered pavilions with modified Venetian windows. Interior has marble clad arched and vaulted vestibule and domed octagonal hall, etc; entrance hall has stained glass by E Bossanyi of 1938-41; the basement restaurant has a large mural by Rex Whistler which is one of the outstanding mural schemes of the Inter-War years; restaurant and coffee bar redesigned 1983-85 by'Jeremy Dixon. This was the first purpose-built gallery in the country devoted to national art. It was erected as the gift of Sir Henry Tate, on the site of Thomas Hardwick's Millbank Penitentiary.


Listing NGR: TQ3007178570

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.