This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6667 / 50°40'0"N
Longitude: -4.7373 / 4°44'14"W
OS Eastings: 206655
OS Northings: 88805
OS Grid: SX066888
Mapcode National: GBR N2.76ZD
Mapcode Global: FRA 07Z9.S9G
Entry Name: Bossiney Court and Outbuilding Adjoining on North West
Listing Date: 17 December 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1223239
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68836
Location: Tintagel, Cornwall, PL34
Civil Parish: Tintagel
Built-Up Area: Tintagel
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Tintagel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 08 NE
Bossiney Court and outbuilding
4/176 adjoining on north-west
Possible manor house now divided into 2 houses with outbuildings adjoining on left.
Circa mid C17. Local slate-stone rubble. Slate roof with gable ends and hipped end
to central 2-storey porch. Brick end stacks. Lower slate roof with hipped end to
outbuilding on left hand gable end.
Considerable internal remodelling in C19 and late C20 and the original arrangement is
uncertain. The main range probably comprised a 2-room and cross or through passage
plan with a central 2-storey porch. In circa early C19 a 2-storey outbuilding was
added on the left hand gable end and in circa late C19 a single-storey outshot was
added on the right hand gable end. The single-storey outshots to the rear of the
main range were probably added in the early C19 and remodelled in the late C20. It
is possible that this house was originally much larger and was probably the manor
house of the Borough Manor of Bossiney.
2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window front. Dressed slate stone arches with keystones to
window openings and renewed C20 12 and 16-pane horned sashes. Ground and first floor
with two 16-pane sashes. Straight joint in masonry near right hand gable end.
Central 2-storey porch with hipped end; chamfered granite entrance with flat lintel
and diagonal cut stops to jambs. C20 glazed door within. Slate string above ground
floor and escutcheon above entrance. First floor with 12-pane sash. 2 storey
outbuilding on left hand gable end with single window front; C20 fenestration on
ground floor. Single-storey outshot on right hand gable end.
Interior : considerably remodelled in C20. Left-hand room with circa C17 oak
chimney-piece, partly reworked in C19. The overmantle is reputed to have been
destroyed by fire. The jambs of the chimney-piece are fluted and carved with a
floral motif; the lintel is carved with an escutcheon in the centre (compare with
that above entrance), Duchy crest on left and castle (insignia of Borough seal)
carved in relief on right. On first floor the wide opening from the central bedroom
into the room over porch has a circa late C18 segmental arch with fluted pilasters.
Right hand side of house not inspected.
The Borough of Bossiney was granted in a charter by Richard Earl of Cornwall,
possibly in 1253. Sir Francis Drake sat for the borough in the Parliament of 1583.
By 1831 the number of legal voters at Bossiney had been reduced to 10 despite the
fact that the borough was returning 2 members of Parliament and consequently the
borough was placed in schedule A of the 1832 Reform Bill and subsequently lost its
Canner, A. C The Parish of Tintagel, some historical notes 1982
Maclean, Sir J Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor 1979 vol
Listing NGR: SX0665588805
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings