This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8096 / 51°48'34"N
Longitude: -2.2042 / 2°12'15"W
OS Eastings: 386017
OS Northings: 212344
OS Grid: SO860123
Mapcode National: GBR 1LT.FK3
Mapcode Global: VH94K.RS25
Entry Name: Spoonbed Farmhouse
Listing Date: 16 July 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1223628
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133500
Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Painswick
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 81 NE
Farmhouse, empty at time of survey (November 1985). Early C18, extended 1771.
Limestone ashlar front, good cutstone elsewhere, stone slate roof to coped
gables, 3 ashlar stacks. Single range near-symmetrical original with bay exten-
sion left. Two storeys, attic, part basement, set cross ground slope; one
storey tiled wing attached right. One + 3 windows; far left is door opening in
chamfered surround, set to plinth; at ground floor an opening for former sash,
with raised surround and keystone, then 4-light ovolo-mould stone mullioned
casement and, beyond porch a 3-light recesed double chamfer casement; at first
floor a square sash opening left, a 3-light ovolo-mould, 2-light plain chamfer,
and 4-light ovolo mould, all casements set to stopped hood moulds. Three
3-light gabled dormers. Right return has at first floor are blocked ovolo-mould
casement with hood. Back has at ground floor a 2-light recessed chamfer case-
ment, then chamfered surround door opening, a 1-light ovolo-mould and a 4-light
ovolo mould casement, and at first floor a 4-light and a 3-light ovolo-mould
casement; all casements with hoods, except ground floor single light. A two
storey extension also added. Front has steep gabled C19 porch with plank and
batten door, centred to original composition. Interior has stone floors
throughout ground floor and deep chamfered beams, flat segmental vault to
cellar, at first floor, right one mutilated heavy moulded fire surround; collar
roof, 2 butt purlins, renewed rafters. Held by William Sponebed in 1440.
(St Clair Baddeley, History of Painswick, 1980 rep).
Listing NGR: SO8601712344
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings