This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6516 / 52°39'5"N
Longitude: -2.634 / 2°38'2"W
OS Eastings: 357207
OS Northings: 306173
OS Grid: SJ572061
Mapcode National: GBR BP.626Q
Mapcode Global: WH9D6.HMY2
Plus Code: 9C4VM928+JC
Entry Name: Eyton on Severn Farmhouse and short section of garden wall adjoining to south east
Listing Date: 17 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1223865
English Heritage Legacy ID: 418766
ID on this website: 101223865
Location: Eyton on Severn, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Wroxeter and Uppington
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Eaton Constantine and Wroxeter St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
Tagged with: Farmhouse
SJ 50 NE
EYTON ON SEVERN
Eyton on Severn Farmhouse and short section of garden wall adjoining to south-east
Shown on O.S. map as Tower Farmhouse and adjoining garden wall.
Probably C18, extensively re-modelled in mid-C19 with late C19 alterations and additions, and incorporating parts of a banqueting house or summer house of 1607; adjoining garden wall also of circa 1607. Dressed grey sandstone with red and gault brick additions; cement-rendered to south-west probably over brick; two-span plain tile roof hipped over front range.
L-plan with infill in angle to north-east. Two storeys. Plinth, moulded brackets to eaves; brick ridge stacks off-centre to left and right, and truncated integral brick end stack to left-hand addition; brick ridge stack to range at rear and lateral stack to return range. Three bays, later bay slightly recessed to right; glazing bar sashes with segmental heads and vermiculated keystones; central wide first-floor window with paired late C19 sash and flanking round-arched windows, that to left with moulded imposts and keystone and that to right with Gibbs surround; central late C19 canted bay with cornice and coped parapet; probably late C19 porch to right with plinth, cornice and coped parapet; pair of doors with four flush panels, radial fan-light, and chamfered reveals. Addition to right with first-floor eight-pane sash, ground-floor sash without glazing bars, and shield-shaped plaque inscribed: "THIS COPPICE/ADJOINING WAS/RAISED BY ACORNS/SOWED AT MICH=/AELMAS/1663".
Late C19 addition set back to left with sash on each floor to right. Right-hand return front: 1:3 bays with first-floor arched staircase window. Later range to north-east has first-floor tripartite glazing bar sashes.
Garden wall adjoining to south-east circa 1607. Roughly squared and coursed red sandstone, dressed grey sandstone to north-west; chamfered tiled coping to north-east; gateway approximately ten metres from Eyton Farmhouse with outer chamfered square arch and damaged inner chamfered four-centred arch with pierced spandrels; boarded gate. Buttress at south-east end of wall, formerly abutment to a gateway.
Interior not inspected, but said to contain substantial remains of one of a-pair of former banqueting houses (q.v.) and which is still reflected in the layout of rooms.
The remains of the banqueting house, the section of wall adjoining the farmhouse, and other buildings nearby are all that remain of Sir Francis Newport's house at Eyton after its destruction by fire. The provinical architect Thomas Farnolls Prichard (1723-1777) acquired the banqueting house and converted it into a house for his own occupation in 1767-9; parts of the present building may date from then, especially the three-bay front, but the details are mid-C19.
H.E. Forrest, Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society 40 (1918-20), Pp.134-5;
H.M. Colvin, A Biographical Directory of British Architects, 1600-1840, John Murray (1978), Pp.662-4.
Listing NGR: SJ5720706173
Other nearby listed buildings