History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Banqueting house approximately 80 metres to south east of Eyton Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wroxeter and Uppington, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6511 / 52°39'3"N

Longitude: -2.6327 / 2°37'57"W

OS Eastings: 357290

OS Northings: 306118

OS Grid: SJ572061

Mapcode National: GBR BP.62JS

Mapcode Global: WH9D6.JMJG

Entry Name: Banqueting house approximately 80 metres to south east of Eyton Farmhouse

Listing Date: 13 June 1958

Last Amended: 17 February 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1267039

English Heritage Legacy ID: 419946

Location: Wroxeter and Uppington, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Wroxeter and Uppington

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Eaton Constantine and Wroxeter St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Wroxeter

Description

SJ 50 NE
6/141

WROXETER C.P.
EYTON ON SEVERN
Banqueting house approximately 80 metres to south east of Eyton Farmhouse

(formerly listed as Remains of Tudor house including Summer-house)

13.6.58

GV
II*
Shown on O.S. map as Tower.

Banqueting house. Circa 1607, for Sir Francis Newport. Dressed red sandstone and red brick with diaper pattern; grey sandstone ashlar dressings; ogee lead cap to turret with globe finial. Octagonal plan with octagonal turret to north.

Two storeys with three-storey turret. Plinth, moulded string course and moulded cornice to balustraded parapet with double-vase shaped balusters and moulded parapet. First-floor three-light stone windows in alternate faces with double-chamfered reveals, chamfered mullions and transoms, and leaded lights; three-bay blind-arcaded ground floor to south-west with moulded imposts and shield-shaped keystones; red brick and red sandstone rubble infill to arcade with two-light wooden casements to west and south-west; inserted boarded door to north-west with fanlight; boarded door to north-east with segmental relieving arch; blocked round arch to south-east. Turret of two stages externally with moulded string course and cornice, and two two-light stone windows to each stage with double-chamfered surrounds, chamfered mullions, and leaded lights.

Interior not inspected, but likely to be of interest.

The banqueting house is one of a pair connected by a length of garden wall [the other is now incorporated in Eyton on Severn Farmhouse (q.v.)] which along with another length of wall, a walled garden, and a converted barn [Tithe Barn Cottage (q.v.)] is all that remains of Sir Francis Newport's house after its destruction by fire.

Listing NGR: SJ5729006117

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.