History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Long Load, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0055 / 51°0'19"N

Longitude: -2.764 / 2°45'50"W

OS Eastings: 346492

OS Northings: 123177

OS Grid: ST464231

Mapcode National: GBR MH.JX64

Mapcode Global: FRA 563G.70G

Entry Name: Christ Church

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1224123

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420096

Location: Long Load, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Long Load

Built-Up Area: Long Load

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Long Sutton

Listing Text

Christ Church, Main Road.
9/129
3/129

------------------------------------

Christ Church, Main Road.
9/129
3/129

------------------------------------
ST4623 LONG LOAD CP MAIN ROAD (West side)

9/129 Christ Church

19.4.61

GV II

Anglican Parish Church. 1854-6, by C E Giles, replacing chapel first recorded 1418. Local lias stone cut and squared,
Ham stone dressings; bands of plain and scalloped clay tiles between stepped coped gables with cross finials. Two-cell
plan of 2-bay chancel and 5-bay nave, with south porch and lean-to north-east vestry and spirelet. In a C13 revival
style. Chancel has plinth, cill course, double corner buttresses; east window 3-light Geometric traceried under pointed
arched label with unworked steps; south windows a single and a 2-light to match: vestry has 2 small cusped lancets in
east wall, plain to north, and ponited arched doorway with curl stop lable in west wall, decorated chimney off north
wall of chancel wall, which has a 2-light window west of vestry. Nave has details to match, with bay buttresses and
2-light geometric traceried windows in north and south walls, and a sub-arcuated 4-light west window. South porch has a
C13 style moulded outer arch in gable, and simpler arch inside. Spirelet on north-east corner of nave, on octagonal
base with plinth, stepped offsets just above eaves level, then a lancet with tracery infill to each face, finally a
stepped stone steeplet with iron cross finials. Interior not accessible at time of survey (July 1985) - Pevsner says
nothing of interest inside but VCH refers to the Jacobean pulpit which survives from the former chapel (VCH, Vol IV,
1978; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4649223177

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.