History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Former Lamp Standard at the Junction of East Street and Church Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Petworth, West Sussex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9876 / 50°59'15"N

Longitude: -0.6092 / 0°36'33"W

OS Eastings: 497716

OS Northings: 121829

OS Grid: SU977218

Mapcode National: GBR FGL.2S5

Mapcode Global: FRA 96MH.LHX

Plus Code: 9C2XX9QR+28

Entry Name: The Former Lamp Standard at the Junction of East Street and Church Street

Listing Date: 5 November 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1224226

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420216

Location: Petworth, Chichester, West Sussex, GU28

County: West Sussex

Civil Parish: Petworth

Built-Up Area: Petworth

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Petworth St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Petworth

Description

SU 9721 PETWORTH EAST STREET
(north end)

29/252 The Former Lamp
Standard at the
junction of East Street
5.11.73 and Church Street
GV II


Lamp standard. Erected in 1851. Designed by Sir Charles Barry, who restored the
Church. Hexagonal base of Portland stone in four tiers. Central iron shaft
surrounded by three twisted iron narrow shafts with pointed tops, joined by ogee
arches and scroll-work at the top with finial. Lamp missing.


Listing NGR: SU9771321831

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.