History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade I Listed Building in Tuxford, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2315 / 53°13'53"N

Longitude: -0.8978 / 0°53'52"W

OS Eastings: 473667

OS Northings: 371064

OS Grid: SK736710

Mapcode National: GBR BH8.FTC

Mapcode Global: WHFGW.51QG

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1224269

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420206

Location: Tuxford, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, NG22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Civil Parish: Tuxford

Built-Up Area: Tuxford

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Tuxford

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Tuxford

Listing Text

SK 77 SW TUXFORD LINCOLN ROAD
(north side)

5/69 Church of
St. Nicholas
1.2.67
G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, clerestory 1473, chancel
rebuilt c.1495 by Gunthorpe, chapel restored and widened C18,
restored 1811, 1879 and 1893. Ashlar. Tower with spire, nave,
aisles, north and south porches, north mortuary chapel, north
vestry, south east rood turret and chancel. Single C20 stack to
the east vestry. Embattled parapets to all but the chancel and
vestry. Coped east chancel with single decorative ridge cross
finial. Buttressed. Diagonally buttressed early C14 tower of 2
stages, set on a plinth with late C14 broached spire and 2
gargoyles to the south and north sides. West side has a worn
chamfered arched doorway with double C18 wooden panelled door,
traceried fanlight, hood mould and worn label stops. Above is a
single arched and cusped light with hood mould and human head
label stops. The 4 bell chamber openings each have a single
larqe arched and cusped light with hood mould, Under, to the
south side, is a single clock face. The west side has 3
rectangular stair lights. The spire has 4 lucarnes each
consiting of a single arched and cusped light with hood mould and
single cross finial. The west wall of the north aisle has a
single restored C15 arched window with 3 arched and cusped
lights, hood mould and label stops. To the right are quoins
denoting an earlier build. The north wall with single gargoyle
and remains of a further single gargoyle is, west of the porch,
set on a plinth with band running over and has a single similar
window and hood mould. The gabled porch with single crocketed
finials at the angles and remains of a single ridge finial has a
restored double chamfered arched entrance with hood mould and
large label stops. There is an inner chamfered arched doorway.
Set into the east wall is a C14 demi-effigy of a priest in
quatrefoil surround and with worn sacramental emblems below.
Left of the porch are 2 similr 3 light windows and hood moulds.
Theclerestory has 2 gargoyles and 4 similar 3 light windows with
continuous hood mould. To the left is the mortuary chapel of the
White family. Set on a plinth with single C15 gargoyles to the
east and west sides. The north wall has 2 windows each
comprising 3 arched lights. To the left, in the vestry, is a
single gargoyle and a single restored C15 window with 3 arched
lights, panel tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. A
continuous sill band runs under. The east vestry wall is set on
a plinth with heavily moulded band over, this extends to the east
and south chancel. There is a C19 moulded arched doorway with
hood mould and human head label stops. Above is a single square
light with lead lozenge glazing bars. The east chancel has a
single arched window with 5 arched lights, panel tracery, hood
mould, human head label stops and continuous sill band. The
south chancel has 4 gargoyles and a continuous sill band broken
by the buttresses. There are 4 C15 arched windows each with 3
arched lights, panel tracery, hood mould and remains of human
head label stops. Under the second window from the left is a
moulded arched doorway with incised decoration in the spandrel
and C17 panelled door. The east wall of the south aisle has a
single restored, arched window with 3 arched and cusped lights,
hood mould and human head label stops. There is a continuous
sill band which drops down at the left and continues around to
the south wall, dropping down under the windows and terminating
at the porch. The south wall with single gargoyle has 2 similar
3 light windows and hood moulds. To the left is the gabled porch
which has single crocketed finials at the angles and single ridge
cross and is set on a plinth. The single buttresses to the east
and west accommodate single large rectangular niches with moulded
surrounds. The right niche with a cross, the left with carved
remains. Restored pointed arched entrance with remains of
responds with fillets. Double wood and glass, traceried door.
Inner moulded pointed arched doorway with panelled door inscribed
"Ed Marshall Tho Pickering Church Wardens 1708" and continuous
hood mould. the east and west walls each have single iron
brackets. The bay to the left of the porch is set on a plinth
and has a single C15 arched window with 3 arched and cusped
lights, hood mould and label stops. In the west wall is a single
similar restored window. To the left are quoins denoting an
earlier build. Clerestory with single carved shields to 3 of the
merlons, remains of 3 gargoyles and 4 arched windows each with 3
arched and cusped lights and continuous hood mould. Interior. 4
bay nave arcades with double chamfered arches. The C13 north
arcade with round columns and responds and moulded capitals. The
early C14 south arcade with octagonal columns, keeled responds
and moulded capitals. To the nave sides are hood moulds each
with 3 human head label stops. Tall narrow triple chamfered tower
arch. C13 double chamfered chancel arch with hood mould, the
inner chamfer supported on circular responds and moulded
capitals. North chancel/north chapel late C13 2 bay arcade with
double chamfered arches supported on octagonal column and
responds with moulded capitals, now blocked by the organ and iron
screen. North aisle/north chapel has a double chamfered arch and
iron screen. North wall of the south aisle has some C12
herringbone masonry. In the chancel south wall is an ogee arched
piscina and in the north wall a chamfered arched doorway to the
vestry with C18 panelled door. In the south aisle, east wall, is
a restored niche with cusped and sub cusped ogee arch over and
crocketed finials containing a crude carved effigy of St.
Lawrence. To the right is a human head carved corbel supporting
the remains of a C14 seated figure and to the left leading to the
rood stair is a small doorway with panelled door. In the south
wall is an ogee arched piscina with hood mould. In the nave is a
blocked rood loft opening in the north wall. There is an arched
stoup next to the north door and to the right a human head corbel
supporting a reset capital with arched niche over. In the east
wall of the chapel is an arched piscina and in the south wall of
the vestry the remains of an ogee arched niche now containing
earlier C13 memorial decorated with a stylised cross. The C19
chancel roof is supported on corbels. The C15 nave roof is
supported on grotesque head corbels and carved wooden angels,
there are many decorative foliate bosses. Restored C15 chancel
screen with elaborate tracery. Ashlar font dated 1662 with fine
and elaborate conical cover and suspended from the roof a
similarly fine and elaborate canopy dated 1673. Elaborately
carved pulpit, c.1876. Base of a C17 altar table, early C19
altar table. C18 cupboard in vestry, probably converted from a
pulpit. 4 low C17 tressels. 2 Cl7 chests, 2 chairs with
elaborately carved backs, tower screen and remaining furnishings
C20. South east aisle window with late C15 figure of St.
Lawrence. In the chapel are 2 large hatchments. Monuments. On
the south wall of the north aisle is a tablet to William and Ann
Sellers, 1790 and on the north wall a damaged memorial to William
Dobson, 1673, this has foliate decoration around the inscription
and is topped with an angel's head under segmental arch. The
south aisle has a monument to Margaret Bayston, 1753 by Ant.
Ince, this is topped with a broken segmental arch with angel
head. There is a further monument to Mary, Mary and Robert
Allwood, 1811, this is surmounted by a broken pediment with urn.
In the south chancel is a tablet to Walter Taylor, 1743. In the
north chapel,set into the wall, is a good alabaster monument to
Sir John and Dorothea White, 1625. Consisting of 2 recumbent
figures of a gentleman and lady in Jacobean dress the former
lying within the arched recess and the latter below and without.
On the back wall within the recess are 2 black marble tablets
plus inscriptions and the side walls are decorated with a helmet,
sword and shield. Above the tablets are carved skulls, angel's
head, etc. Flanking the recess are single Corinthian columns
surmounted by finials. Topping the arch is the family crest.
There is a further monument to Charles Lawrence White, 1814,
consisting of a tablet supported on 2 decorative corbels and
surmounted by a further tablet, the crown being decorated with a
rustic cross, the trappings of battle and an eagle and topped
with an urn. In an arched tomb recess is a recumbent C14 knight
with crossed legs and feet resting on dogs. There is a further
C14 recumbent alabaster figure of a lady with feet resting on
dogs and a C14 floor slab with a shallow carved figure of a
knight and heraldic shields. There are several C17 and C18 floor
slabs.


Listing NGR: SK7366171066

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.