History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Grammar School, Number 4, and Attached Wall, Gate and Steps

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tuxford, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2312 / 53°13'52"N

Longitude: -0.8971 / 0°53'49"W

OS Eastings: 473718

OS Northings: 371033

OS Grid: SK737710

Mapcode National: GBR BH8.G07

Mapcode Global: WHFGW.612P

Entry Name: The Old Grammar School, Number 4, and Attached Wall, Gate and Steps

Listing Date: 28 February 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1224333

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420211

Location: Tuxford, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, NG22

County: Nottinghamshire

Civil Parish: Tuxford

Built-Up Area: Tuxford

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Tuxford

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Tuxford

Listing Text

SK 77 SW TUXFORD LINCOLN ROAD
(south side)

5/74 The Old Grammar
School, No.4,
28.2.52 and attached wall,
gate and steps.

G.V. II*

School, now library, offices and domestic accommodation, and
attached wall, gate and steps. Dated 1669. Reorganised late
C18. Red brick, ashlar and iron. Bell canted hipped pantile
roof. Sprocket eaves. Single rendered central ridge stack. Set
on a moulded brick plinth with brick quoins. 2 storeys plus
attic, 5 bays. First floor band. Central doorway. Double
wooden panelled and part glazed door dated 1757 in wooden frame.
Flanked by single rusticated brick pilasters with painted orb
finials. to the right are 2 glazing bar sashes and to the left a
single similar sash and further left a single slightly recessed
panel with painted glazing bars. Between the 2 right sashes is a
bell in wood and pantile frame with C20 plaque below. Above are
4 smaller glazing bar sashes with central shaped and painted
panel inscribed "1669 Ingredere Ut Proficias Condita Disciplinae
Charitatique Desigrata A Carola Read. What God Hath Built Let
Not Man Destroy. Faxit". Over is a moulded and painted
segmental floating hood mould. In the attic are 3 box dormers
each with single C20 casement. To the rear is a projecting C18
stair turret. Attached to the front right of the building is a
buttressed red brick wall with moulded coping, one and a half
metres high. This extends north for 7 metres, meets a brick pier
with damaged, shaped ashlar coping, turns at a right angle drops
down to 1 metre high and extends for a further 23 metres east,
meets a brick pier and turns south extending 7 metres at a height
of one a half metres. The north wall is broken in the centre by
a pair of brick piers with shaped ashlar coping. There is a
central single decorative wrought iron gate flanked by single
similar narrow screens which slope upwards to meet the piers. 3
semi-circular stone steps lead down to the pavement. Interior
has chamfered beams. There are 2 boards dated 1706 outlining
guidelines for conduct within the school. Interior of the stair
turret contains an open well stair with C17 turned balusters.
The Grammar School was founded in 1669 by Charles Read who also
founded the Grammar School at Corby, Lincs, 1673.


Listing NGR: SK7371871033

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.