History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cob House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burford, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8099 / 51°48'35"N

Longitude: -1.6361 / 1°38'10"W

OS Eastings: 425181

OS Northings: 212420

OS Grid: SP251124

Mapcode National: GBR 5SW.F61

Mapcode Global: VHBZS.LRDY

Entry Name: Cob House

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 1 March 1990

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1224292

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420234

Location: Burford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Burford

Built-Up Area: Burford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Burford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Burford

Listing Text

BURFORD AND UPTON HIGH STREET
AND SIGNET (West Side)
SP2512 (Enlargement) Cob House (Previously
7/111 listed as part of The
12.9.55 Vicarage).

GV II*


Formerly a wing of the Parsonage House, now a separate dwelling. Dated
1672, could be attributable to one of the craftsman in the Oxford-Wren
circle, Christopher Kempster the local man being the favourite. Freestone
front, chamfered quoins with rebated corners to upper floors, Cotswold
stone roof, ashlar end chimney to right. 2 storeys; 3 bays. The main
point of the front are the 3 pedimented features built up over the eaves,
the outer triangular the centre segmental and dated, with moulded cornices
and flat-edged blocked oval panels. Imposing 1st floor piano-nobile with
architraves and cornices to stone cross mullion windows. The ground floor
is really a basement or rustic, see the chamfered plinth and the less good
quality stone. Mullioned windows in moulded architraves, perhaps a
remodelling, note straight joint near South end; cellar grating. The
South return is in coursed rubble, 2 blocked 1st floor windows with simple
architraves, blocked oval in attic. Entered from single-storey extension
to right built of ashlar, set at an angle and with a 4-panel door. The
main roan of this building was a 1st floor roan now subdivided. The
building formed originally the East wing of the Old Vicarage (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SP2518112420

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.