History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hampton and Sons

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burford, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8078 / 51°48'28"N

Longitude: -1.6368 / 1°38'12"W

OS Eastings: 425135

OS Northings: 212194

OS Grid: SP251121

Mapcode National: GBR 5SW.M06

Mapcode Global: VHBZS.LT1H

Entry Name: Hampton and Sons

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 1 March 1990

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1224332

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420373

Location: Burford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Burford

Built-Up Area: Burford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Burford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Burford

Listing Text

BURFORD AND UPTON HIGH STREET
AND SIGNET (West Side)
SP2512 (Enlargement) No 96 (Hampton and
7/139 Sons) (Previously
12.9.55 listed as Rose and Crown)

GV II*


House and hostelry, now offices. C16, altered C19 and C20. Rubble with
Cotswold stone roof, corniced rubble end chimney and an ashlar chimney to
left on wall-face. 2 storeys and attic; 2 gabled dormers. 2 windows on
1st floor, casements, the lefthand are of 3-lights with wooden mullions
rather dislocated, the right hand one a C20 mullion and transom window.
To ground floor a projecting rubble shop front with 2 glazing-bar sash
windows, a pair and a treble; Cotswold stone pentice roof over extending
across set-back entry; the latter is Tudor arched with a stilted label and
has in the spandrel Simon Wysdom's wool mark and the date 1578; studded
door with studded inscription "Rose and Crown 1915." Inside, alleyway
screen (modern replacement) to left. To rear: timber segment-headed C16
doorway with 2-light wooden mullion window over. Interior: On first
floor, room has cross-beam ceiling with chamfered joists and a hooded
fireplace on rounded corbels, on 2nd floor a plain Tudor-arched chamfered
fireplace. Simon Wysdom was a clothier, mercer and farmer as well as a
property dealer, he was involved in local government and charities, for
instance he founded Burford Grammar School, and he died in 1586.


Listing NGR: SP2513512194

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.