History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in West Drayton, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.265 / 53°15'53"N

Longitude: -0.9353 / 0°56'6"W

OS Eastings: 471114

OS Northings: 374747

OS Grid: SK711747

Mapcode National: GBR PZXP.99

Mapcode Global: WHFGN.L6VB

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1224416

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420416

Location: West Drayton, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Civil Parish: West Drayton

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: West Drayton

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
East Retford

Listing Text

SK 77 SW WEST DRAYTON CHURCH LANE
(east side)

5/87 Church of
St. Paul
1.2.67
II*

Parish church. C12, C15, rebuilt 1874. Dressed coursed rubble,
ashlar and some render. Tile roofs, coped gables with single
ridge cross to east end. Single damaged cross to the coped gable
of the slightly projecting double arched west bell turret. Nave
and chancel under single roof, north vestry. In the projecting
shaft of the bell turret is a single C15 window with 2 arched and
cusped lights under a flat arch with concrete surround.
Projecting from the north is a C19 red brick, render and tile
vestry with coped gable and single arched and cusped light in the
north wall. To the left is a further C19 wing with 2 doorways
with plank doors. Behind this wing, in the north nave wall, is a
single C19 arched and cusped light with moulded surround, hood
mould and label stops. In the north chancel wall is a single
similar window. The buttressed east end is set on a plinth and
has a single arched C15 window with 3 lights, cusped panel
tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The south wall
has 2 C19 arched and cusped lights with moulded surrounds, hood
moulds and label stops. To the left is a worn C12 round arched
doorway with wooden plank door. 2 slim columns with worn
capitals support zigzag decorated imposts. The arch is decorated
on front and soffit with zigzag and there is a scalloped hood
mould. To the right of the doorway is an arched stoup. To the
left is a single C19 arched and cusped light with moulded
surround, hood mould and label stops. Interior. A pointed
arched doorway leads to the vestry. Late C19 octagonal font, the
remaining furniture being late C19 and C20. Under the west
window is a C14 stylised carved cross. To the left is a slab
with similarly carved cross. The east window is by Lavers and
Westlake, London, 1895.


Listing NGR: SK7111474747

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.