History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The School House

A Grade II Listed Building in King's Cliffe, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.562 / 52°33'43"N

Longitude: -0.5118 / 0°30'42"W

OS Eastings: 500975

OS Northings: 297056

OS Grid: TL009970

Mapcode National: GBR FWW.9F0

Mapcode Global: WHGM9.3VJS

Entry Name: The School House

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Last Amended: 12 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1225376

English Heritage Legacy ID: 421726

Location: King's Cliffe, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: King's Cliffe

Built-Up Area: King's Cliffe

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: King's Cliffe All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Collyweston

Listing Text

KINGS CLIFFE BRIDGE STREET
TL0097 (South side)
12/100 No.22 (The School House)
23/05/67 (Formerly listed as Teachers
House (formerly the Priest's
House) (2 dwellings))
GV II
School and schoolhouse, now house. Datestone 1752. Founded as a school in 1727
by William Law, datestone refers to rebuilding. Squared coursed limestone with
Collyweston slate roof. Originally probably 2-unit plan, the school room
occupying most of the upper storey. 2 storeys. 4-window range of leaded cross
windows under wood lintels and with ashlar dressings. Small circular window to
first floor left. 6-panel door, to right of centre, is also under wood lintel.
Ashlar gable parapets and stone stacks at ends. Panel immediately above door has
inscription "Charitati Sacrum 1752". One-bay outbuilding attached to right, now
forms part of house and has plank door to left. Ashlar gable parapets and
lateral stone stack. Rear elevation has central leaded casement, under wood
lintel. Gable end, abutting Bridge Street, is blank. Interior not inspected but
noted as having fielded panelled screen to side of staircase, cupboard
understair with wooden ventilation grille and splat balusters to first floor
landing.
(RCHM: An inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p98;
Waller, A.K.: William Law, His Life and Thought (1973); Law, W.: Hutcheson, E.:
A Short Account of the two Charitable Foundations at Kings Cliffe (1755))


Listing NGR: TL0097597056

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.