History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Elmslie School

A Grade II Listed Building in Tyldesley, Blackpool

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8094 / 53°48'33"N

Longitude: -3.0312 / 3°1'52"W

OS Eastings: 332195

OS Northings: 435282

OS Grid: SD321352

Mapcode National: GBR ZPK.MD

Mapcode Global: WH858.DJT0

Entry Name: Elmslie School

Listing Date: 15 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1225409

English Heritage Legacy ID: 421776

Location: Blackpool, FY3

County: Blackpool

Electoral Ward/Division: Tyldesley

Built-Up Area: Blackpool

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Marton St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Blackpool

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

SD 44 SW BLACKPOOL WHITEGATE DRIVE

44- /1/10005 No.194
Elmslie School

II

Former house, now part of school. 1896, with minor late C20 alterations. Coursed squared
sandstone with ashlar dressings to front elevation, red brick elsewhere. Irregular 'L' plan. Front
elevation: 2 storeys, 3 bays; an elaborate and asymmetrical front with central doorway enclosed
within open flat roofed porch. Porch entrance with slender marble columns with foliated
capitals supporting shallow arched heads to entrance and flanking lights. Enclosed doorway
within decorative surround, with slender engaged columns to jambs, and tall overlight with
stilted arched head. Gabled bay to left with advanced bay to ground floor, of 2 lights with a 4
part overlight. Moulded cornice links with that of porch as continuous moulding Above, a
canted first floor bay with lead canopy. Ornate gable with slender corner turrets with pinnacles,
and an elaborate carved apex finial. Right hand bay not gabled, but with matching arrangement
of bays below a stepped parapet. Corbelled turrets to corners with circular crenellated caps.
Rear range on left side has tall side wall chimney and projecting stair turret with stepped lancets
to upper part. Right side with canted corner linking front and rear ranges, the latter with plain
undivided sash frames. C20 joinery elsewhere. INTERIOR; largely unaltered, with much
original decorative ceiling and wall plasterwork, and high quality joinery including panelled
doors with moulded architraves and carved cresting, well-finished and ornate principal staircase
with stained glass lights to lower partition, and elaborate chimney pieces with overmantles.
HISTORY; the house, named 'The Elms' was built for William and Sarah Powell in 1896, and
became a school in 1922. The other buildings on the school site are not of special interest.


Listing NGR: SD3219535282

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.