This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.818 / 53°49'4"N
Longitude: -3.0427 / 3°2'33"W
OS Eastings: 331447
OS Northings: 436249
OS Grid: SD314362
Mapcode National: GBR ZM9.1C
Mapcode Global: WH858.79BD
Entry Name: Synagogue
Listing Date: 27 August 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376196
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470190
Location: Blackpool, FY1
Electoral Ward/Division: Talbot
Built-Up Area: Blackpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Blackpool St John
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 33 NW BLACKPOOL LEAMINGTON ROAD
Synagogue. Main block of 1916-26; dated and inscribed to front: 'BLACKPOOL UNITED / HEBREW SYNAGOGUE / 5676 ERECTED 1926'; with additions and alterations of 1955 and 1976, including range to right. Architect, Alderman R.B. Mather, J.P. Red brick with ashlar dressings, pantile and lead roofs. Main range: the gable end is to the front and has a round-arched, coped, low parapet behind which rises a small octagonal dome. PLAN: main range a single tall storey, articulated externally as 2 storeys, 3 bays, with 2-lower-storey entrance range to right.
Main range in Byzantine style. Full-height pilaster strips off-set to angles, with pilaster strips between upper stage windows which rise from central lower-stage breakforward; all pilasters rise above parapet; similar pilasters to lower-stage breakforward and with continuous chequerboard band between stages. Windows: upper stage has outer round-arched windows in quoined surrounds with voussoirs to head and keystones; central 3-light mullion and transom windows, the upper lights are circular, in straight-headed surround with frieze and cornice; plaque above. Lower stage: outer 3-light windows; 3 central blind openings to breakforward. Further range to right with central entrance: double, glazed doors, and with casement window to upper stage.
Left return: 7 bays originally, with 3-bay extension. Similar pilaster strips to 5 bays and windows to 6 bays: mainly round-arched thermal windows with keystones to upper stage, those 2 to left are straight-headed, 3-light windows then a simplified Venetian window with arch over and cornice; otherwise casements. To lower stage are 2- and 3-light straight-headed windows each with frieze and cornice. Entrance to end bay of original range: double doors.
GLASS: good stained glass throughout with scenes from the Torah.
INTERIOR: Barrel vaulted roof with chamfered ribs. Balcony to three sides with panelled balustrade surmounted by open x-work. Pews remain to ground floor and balcony. Mahogany panelling to front wall has open pediment on Ionic columns, with Doric columns to inner round arched niche. Octagonal reading desk. Further central reading desk introduced c1960s.
Forms a good group with The Old Grammar School, Raikes Parade (qv).
Listing NGR: SD3144936256
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings