This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.2399 / 54°14'23"N
Longitude: -2.9917 / 2°59'30"W
OS Eastings: 335466
OS Northings: 483146
OS Grid: SD354831
Mapcode National: GBR 7MKD.3V
Mapcode Global: WH835.0PNG
Plus Code: 9C6V62Q5+X8
Entry Name: Bigland Hall
Listing Date: 25 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1225412
English Heritage Legacy ID: 421784
Location: Haverthwaite, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Haverthwaite
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Haverthwaite St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
1268/10/75 BIGLAND HALL
House. Late C16 and C17, remodelled and extended in 1809. Roughcast stone with slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: South-east facade of 2 storeys and 5 bays; the central bay breaks forward. 1st floor sill band and top cornice and coped parapet; hipped roof; quoins. Windows are sashed with glazing bars, that to central bay of 1st floor has architrave, consoled frieze and cornice, the frieze with relief lion passant reguardant holding wheatear, blocks to ends with pairs of wheatears (Bigland). Entrance has Doric porch with paired columns; vaulting boarded over (1986); outer door and paired half-glazed inner doors and overlight with glazing bars. 2
cross-axial stacks, and 2 stacks to rear slope. Left return has conservatory
and projecting flat-roofed block; round-headed stair window with glazing bars.
Rear wing has double-pitch roof; sashed windows, most with glazing bars, left
return has conservatory and large garage door; right return has projecting
gabled wing with smaller parallel wing to rear, which has paired gable-end
stacks with bell between. Rear has round headed stair window with glazing
INTERIOR: Extensive and complex multi-phase plan form with many surviving examples of panelled doors, moulded architraves, panelled window reveals, plaster cornices and a good range of hearths. Entrance hall has 2 busts in niches.
Room in rear wing has fireplace bressummer, probably C16 or early C17, with
initials: 'BMB NG' (The 'N' reversed). 'NG' originally thought to be date:
1161. Three of the reception rooms are thought to be attributable to John Hird, and some interior decoration possibly by Webster of Kendal.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings