This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9096 / 53°54'34"N
Longitude: -1.4076 / 1°24'27"W
OS Eastings: 439015
OS Northings: 446096
OS Grid: SE390460
Mapcode National: GBR LRM7.28
Mapcode Global: WHDB0.BZZR
Entry Name: Church of St Oswald
Listing Date: 22 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1225846
English Heritage Legacy ID: 422834
Location: Collingham, Leeds, LS22
Civil Parish: Collingham
Built-Up Area: Collingham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Collingham St Oswald with Harewood
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
In the entry for the following:-
LS22 CHURCH LANE
SE 34 NE (East side)
3/39 Church of St. Oswald
The grade shall be amended to read II* (star)
COLLINGHAM CHURCH LANE
SE34NE LS22 (east side)
3/39 Church of St. Oswald
Parish Church. C15 with Anglo-Saxon remains, chancel c1840, restored 1840-41. Well-
coursed rubble to pre-Conquest work, large dressed stone to tower, hammer-dressed
stone to C19 work, stone slate roof with clay tiles on chancel. West tower, nave, north
aisle, south porch, chancel and north chancel chapel. Perpendicular tower, Early English
lancet style restoration. Tower: 2 stages, chamfered plinth, moulded band.
3-light west window with arched lights and panel tracery, above is limestone
block with shield in relief; moulded band; 2-light belfry windows set in square
double-chamfered surrounds have arched lights with sunken spandrels south face
has clock-face above small chamfered light. Embattled parapet with projecting
rainwater chutes with gargoyles; crocketed corner pinnacles. Nave: red-sandstone
quoins mark extent of original nave now of 3 bays articulated by offset buttress.
South wall Anglo-Saxon. Gabled porch in 1st bay, lancet windows, corbel table.
Coped gables with kneelers; apex cross. North aisle: 2-light windows with cusped
lights, 2 with square heads, one with arched head with hoodmould. Right-hand
return of aisle (east face) has 2-light window with shafted mullion and quatrefoil
above at junction with canted stair-turret which has shouldered doorway and 2 small
lancets in west face. Chancel: 2 bays articulated by offset buttresses. Lancet
windows. Angle buttresses to east end which has triple lancet window. 2-light
window to chapel.
Interior: much altered though the C12 circular pillars to the aisle-arcade remain.
The rest is over elaborate C19 Early English with richly-moulded pointed arches to
arcade, chancel and tower arch. Two important pre-Conquest cross shafts, one
known as the Oswini Cross and claimed to be C7 and as such the 'oldest authentic
Christian monument existing in the North of England', but now thought to be slightly
later. This is carved with representations of the Apostles. the other is C9 or C10
and has intelace carving incorporating dragons and ruinic inscription in base.
R. A, Carter, Yorkshire Churches, (1976) p20.
N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (1974) p165.
E. Pontefract and M. Hartley, The Charm of Yorkshire Churches, (undated) p16.
G. E. Kirk, History of the Parish Church of St. Oswald, Collingham, (1937).
Listing NGR: SE3901546096
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings