This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9291 / 51°55'44"N
Longitude: -1.2818 / 1°16'54"W
OS Eastings: 449483
OS Northings: 225866
OS Grid: SP494258
Mapcode National: GBR 7VN.0R3
Mapcode Global: VHCWV.QSR0
Plus Code: 9C3WWPH9+J7
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226006
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423070
Location: Upper Heyford, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX25
Civil Parish: Upper Heyford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Upper Heyford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
UPPER HEYFORD CHURCH WALK
SP42NE (West side)
2/137 Church of St. Mary
Church. C15, and 1867 by Talbot Bury incorporating C14 and C15 elements. Rubble
and coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings; Welsh-slate, sheet-metal,
and concrete plain-tile roofs. Chancel, nave, north aisle, north and south
vestries, west tower and south porch. Rebuilt chancel incorporates a fine
3-light east window with Perpendicular drop tracery below a 4-centred arch, and
has a square-headed 2-light window to north; matching window to south plus
remainder of chancel and vestries is C19. Nave has, to south, two 3-light
Perpendicular-style windows below pairs of quatrefoil clerestory windows, and
has 2 small windows above the south porch. North aisle has traceried windows
with pointed-segmental arches. North clerestory has 3 pairs of quatrefoil
windows, and the nave parapet is a frieze of blind quatrefoils. C15 rubble
tower, with diagonal buttresses and moulded plinth and strings, has a moulded
Tudor-arched west doorway below a 3-light Perpendicular window, and has arched
2-light bell-chamber openings with Perpendicular tracery, below a crenellated
parapet which formerly had corner pinnacles; buttresses carry the arms of New
College Oxford and its Warden at the time of building (c.1465). Interior:
Chancel incorporates a C14 piscina with a cusped head, a C14 recess containing
the effigy of a priest, and a cartouche of arms, now forming the base of a
missal stand. Wide 4-centred arch to south vestry; coupled-rafter roof with
arched bracing. Responds of chancel arch, and east respond and first capital of
3-bay nave arcade, have vigorously-carved capitals with naturalistic grapes,
corn, and other vegetation; remaining capitals are moulded but remain uncarved.
C15 tower arch has inner shafts with octagonal capitals plus a wide casement
moulding. Perpendicular-style nave roof. Fittings include an Art Noveau
wrought-iron screen of c.1900, brought from Bicester Church. Numerous late-C17
and early-C18 ledgers, mostly to members of the Myrry family. C19 stained glass
in east window.
(VCH Oxfordshire, Vol VI, p204; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p820)
Listing NGR: SP4948325866
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings