History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Round House (That Part in Woodford Civil Parish) and Attached Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodford, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3641 / 52°21'50"N

Longitude: -0.6282 / 0°37'41"W

OS Eastings: 493503

OS Northings: 274887

OS Grid: SP935748

Mapcode National: GBR DXQ.PZM

Mapcode Global: VHFP0.2V72

Entry Name: The Round House (That Part in Woodford Civil Parish) and Attached Barn

Listing Date: 17 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1226090

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423177

Location: Woodford, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN9

County: Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Woodford

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Woodford St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Finedon

Listing Text

WOODFORD THRAPSTON ROAD
SP 97 SW
4/170 The Round House (that
part in Woodford CP)
- and attached barn
- II

Farmhouse. Early and mid C19 with late C20 alterations. Coursed limestone rubble
with. slate roofs and C20 brick stacks. L-plan, formed by 3-storey round tower
with 2-storey blocks to right and rear. Tower has large cross-shaped rendered
panel painted with the words 'Panorama/Waterloo/Victory/June 18/AD/1815'. Above
is an oculus and to left and right, at ground and first floor level, are 2-light
windows with stone flat-arched heads and C20 casements. Conical roof, topped by
small railed viewing platform and central chimney. Block to right probably an
addition, has a blocked door, now window, to left (porch removed) and 3-light
windows to right of ground floor and to first floor, all with segmental gauged
stone heads and C20 casements. End stack, then a low link to barn to right of
limestone rubble with pantiled roof. Block to rear, originally stable, heightened
and substantially altered to form domestic accommodation, contains present entrance.
Interior: altered and original stair removed. Built for Arbuthnot family of nearby
Woodford House (qv), after a visit by the Duke of Wellington who apparently
mentioned that the countryside reminded him of the land around Waterloo. The film
'The Battle of Waterloo', directed by Charles Weston for the British and Colonial
Kinematography Company (1913) was made at this site.


Listing NGR: SP9350374887

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.