This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3772 / 52°22'38"N
Longitude: -0.6169 / 0°37'0"W
OS Eastings: 494247
OS Northings: 276366
OS Grid: SP942763
Mapcode National: GBR DXK.T0X
Mapcode Global: VHFP0.8H7Y
Plus Code: 9C4X99GM+V6
Entry Name: Woodford House and Attached Cottages and Outbuildings
Listing Date: 23 May 1967
Last Amended: 17 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1266038
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423168
Location: Woodford, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN14
District: East Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Woodford
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Woodford St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
Woodford House and attached cottages and outbuildings
(Formerly listed as Woodford House)
Country house. Probably mid C18, remodelled and extended 1813 (datestone) for Charles Arbuthnot MP, extended c.1900 for Plevens family. Squared coursed lias and limestone ashlar, with slate roof.
Double-depth plan. Two storeys with attic. Entrance front centre range of four windows. Central late C19 columned porch with glazed door. Late C19 sash windows in earlier openings with gauged stone heads. Raised string course between floors. Shallow hipped roof with roof dormers on returns. Wooden dentilled cornice and brick stacks at ridge. Datestone below eaves. Three-window range to right, set back from main front, was probably added early C19. French windows at ground floor and plain sash windows at first floor, all under gauged stone heads.Dentilled cornice and hipped roof. First floor windows to centre range and range to right have wooden shutters. Irregular five-window range set back to left of centre in similar style, with staircase windows between floors to right. The first floor of this range is a different build to the ground floor. Similar range is attached at right angles to left, with a three-storey tower with pyramid roof to right, and single-storey range terminating with a pyramid roof. Oculus in tower with four keyblocks has C20 clockface.
Rear elevation or garden front is a similar five-window range of sash windows with tall openings to ground floor. String course between floors. Late C19 polygonal conservatory to centre is formed with ashlar piers between sash window openings. c.1900 billiards room attached to right has polygonal end in similar style. Former stables attached to left of entrance front now form two cottages and outbuildings.
Interior: entrance hall has C18 style staircase with turned balusters, which probably dates from c.1900 remodelling. Similar secondary staircase to left. Duke's drawing room to far right of entrance has moulded plaster ceiling. Other rooms have moulded cornices. The Duke of Wellington was a frequent guest of the Arbuthnots and the three-bay extension to the north of the main front was his accommodation, including a drawing room and study. The Duke of Wellington likened the surrounding countryside to that of Waterloo and the Round House, Thrapston Road, (q.v.) commemorates the battle. Drawings at Northamptonshire Records Office show alterations proposed by W. Martyn Meer of 1899 and landscape proposals by W. Innes Stuckey of 1909, only partially carried out.
Listing NGR: SP9424776366
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings