History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moat House Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Shustoke, Warwickshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5093 / 52°30'33"N

Longitude: -1.6528 / 1°39'10"W

OS Eastings: 423662

OS Northings: 290210

OS Grid: SP236902

Mapcode National: GBR 5JB.NZ2

Mapcode Global: VHBWH.96L7

Entry Name: Moat House Farmhouse

Listing Date: 23 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1226123

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423226

Location: Shustoke, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, B46

County: Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Shustoke

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Whitacres, Lea Marston and Shustoke

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Shustoke

Listing Text

SHUSTOKE MOAT HOUSE LANE
SP2390 (North side)
13/189 Moat House Farmhouse
GV II
House. Late C16. 1830 remodelling and alterations. Timber-framing to cross-wing
with C19 red brick casing and rebuild of part of main range. Plain-tiled roof.
Projecting side stack to cross-wing. Coursed and squared sandstone with moulded
stone string and 3 detached red brick stacks set diagonally. Sundial incised in
sandstone of chimney. Similar squared and coursed sandstone to stack to main
range. Above the ridge it is of red brick. The sandstone forms part of the east
wall of the main range. T-plan having cross-passage at rear of chimney in main
range. Main range of 2 storeys. One flush frame small-pane casement and another
of 3-lights at first floor. At ground floor doorway to cross-passage has boarded
door with rectangular fanlight. 2 C19 wood casements under segmental arches,
with small panes on either side of kitchen doorway. The cross-wing at the south
end of 2 storeys and attic. Gable end has segmental header arches to a small
pane wood casement to the attic and 2 slightly larger windows at first and
ground floors. Interior: Main range. Inglenook hearth of early C17. Main beam
has an ogee-moulding similar to that of Holliars Farmhouse, Church Road,
Shustoke dated 1641 (q.v.). Off this room is the service end with partition
wall. The cross-wing was probably a parlour cross-wing which remains from the
original house on the site. The framing is visible internally. There is vertical
studwork, with close centres of substantial scantling. The ground floor studs in
the wall are double pegged. 2-bay plan with original substantial partition wall
to the centre truss. Moulded main beams have similar ogee-moulding to that in
main range and at Holliars Farmhouse (q.v.). Framing also visible at first
floor. There is an original doorway, now blocked, in the partition wall at first
floor. Through-purlin roof with two tiers of purlins, trenched over the backs of
the principals. Wind bracing to lower tier. Tie beam has arch bracing and struts
between collar and tie-beam. Jowled heads to main posts. A number of internal
doors have strap hinges with fleur-de-lys ends. The house, which is on a moated
site, was bought in late C17/early C18 by Thomas Huntbach for the purpose of
endowing the school and hospital at Church End, Shustoke.
(VCH: Warwickshire: Vol.IV)
(Midland Counties Tribune: (March 22, 1935))


Listing NGR: SP2366290210

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.