This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5076 / 52°30'27"N
Longitude: -1.6568 / 1°39'24"W
OS Eastings: 423393
OS Northings: 290019
OS Grid: SP233900
Mapcode National: GBR 5JB.MZP
Mapcode Global: VHBWH.77HJ
Plus Code: 9C4WG85V+27
Entry Name: Shustoke Hall Farmhouse
Listing Date: 23 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1266022
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423232
Location: Shustoke, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, B46
District: North Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Shustoke
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Whitacres, Lea Marston and Shustoke
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SHUSTOKE MOAT HOUSE LANE
SP2390 (South side)
13/192 Shustoke Hall Farmhouse
(Formerly listed under
Shustoke Hall and Hall Cottage
Manor house on moated site. c.1686. Red brick Flemish bond an squared and
coursed sandstone plinth. Plain-tiled hipped roof with wood modillion eaves
cornice. Symmetrically disposed stacks with pilasters to the 2 shafts and cogged
brick string course. Double pile plan. 2 storeys and attic. 3 C20 gable dormers.
Symmetrical facade of 5-window bays divided by 3 brick plat band. 5-window range
of late C20 cross-frame wood casements in original openings, having flat arches
of gauged and rubbed brickwork. Similar windows at ground floor flanking central
doorway approached by flight of 4 sandstone steps, segmental on plan. Doorway in
moulded sandstone surround with flat hood on large scroll brackets of sandstone.
Door with 2 bolection moulded X-shaped panels and original wrought iron door
furniture and fittings including escutcheon, ornamental plate to the ring
knocker, lock, and fleur-de-lys strap hinges. South side wall has 3 similar C20
windows in original openings. Central doorway, now sealed, with another original
flat canopy on scroll brackets. North wall has similar fenestration. Adjoining
on the east, cottage formerly service wing. Late C18. Red brick. Plain-tiled
half-hipped roof with ridge stack. 2 storeys. 3 first floor wood casements.
Interior: Open-well staircase of 7 flights and a landing. Turned balusters,
toads-back rail and square newel. Throughout the house there are doors of 2
bolection moulded panels. The parlour is lined with bolection moulded panelling,
also late C17, of 2 heights with dado and double cornice. There is a bolection
moulded fireplace with mantel. The overmantel has an original panel painting
depicting a classical subject of a hunter offering a boars head to a woman.
There is an overdoar painting also on panel of putti playing with dogs, lance
and drums. Two rooms at first floor have bolection moulded fireplaces. There is
a plaster floor to a cheese room in the attic. Built for Thomas Huntbach c.1686
who lived there until his death in 1712.
(VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV)
(Midlands Counties Tribune: March 22, 1935)
Listing NGR: SP2339390019
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings