History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Firth Street Mills

A Grade II Listed Building in Huddersfield, Kirklees

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.641 / 53°38'27"N

Longitude: -1.7784 / 1°46'42"W

OS Eastings: 414746

OS Northings: 416080

OS Grid: SE147160

Mapcode National: GBR JV0B.SJ

Mapcode Global: WHCB1.NRB2

Entry Name: Firth Street Mills

Listing Date: 22 November 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1226503

English Heritage Legacy ID: 423827

Location: Kirklees, HD1

County: Kirklees

Electoral Ward/Division: Newsome

Built-Up Area: Huddersfield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Huddersfield St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Huddersfield

Listing Text

The following item shall be added:

FIRTH STREET
1.
5113
(North side)
Firth Street Mills
SE 1416 SE 919 - /4/10001
II GV

2.
Spinning mill with attached engine house, coal store, boiler
house and chimney, plus added weaving sheds. Built 1865-6 for
Benjamin Lockwood with additions 1886 for Rueben Hurst. Coursed
rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
Mill building has double ridge hipped roofs with dentilated
eaves. 6 storey. 4 windows wide and 21 windows in length, all
with flush ashlar cills and lintels, plus C20 large pane
casements. The south front has a stair tower with a single
window and a single taking-in door to each floor, plus taking-in
doors to each floor of the eastern most bay.
Engine house, to east, has a hipped roof and dentilated eaves.
The north front has a pair of tall round headed windows with
moulded ashlar surrounds and keystones.
Coal store, to east, has a single blocked doorway with flush
ashlar shouldered lintel, to the canalside.
Boiler house, to south, with ashlar coped gable. 3 storey. South
front has blocked cart entrance, with 2 blocked windows above,
and 2 farther windows above again.
Weaving sheds, to south west of the mill, single storey with 7
coped gables along the south wall, and a cart entry with plank
doors below the sixth gable.
Office block to east converted c1960 from the former time office
and cottage. Beyond to the east the main gates, with a pair of
rusticated square gate piers with pyramidal caps, and iron gates.
Chimney stack, to east, very tall hexagonal, tapering stone
stack, with decorated upper stage, and moulded cornice at top.


Listing NGR: SE1474616080

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.