This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5087 / 51°30'31"N
Longitude: -0.1373 / 0°8'14"W
OS Eastings: 529367
OS Northings: 180512
OS Grid: TQ293805
Mapcode National: GBR FF.BB
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.KBSR
Entry Name: Midland Bank
Listing Date: 5 February 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 423866
Location: Westminster, London, W1J
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Piccadilly
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2980 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER PICCADILLY Wl
70/82 (south side)
5.2.70 No 196 (Midland Bank)
Midland bank branch office on corner of St. James's Churchyard.
1922-23 by Sir Edwin Lutyens. Witty Wrenaissance-English Baroque
design for relatively small building. Red brick and lavish stone
dressings, slate roof, on square plan. 2 storeys. 3 windows wide.
Semicircular arched and rusticated stone entrance, with mezzanine,
to left,balanced to right by similar archway enclosing niche.
Architraved flush framed glazing bar sash window between. Stone
entablature over ground floor. 1st floor, with glazing bar sash
windows, has richly carved stone festoons. Stone cornice set
below eaves of pyramidal slate roof finished off by ball and vane.
Similar details to east return to churchyard.
Survey of London; vol XXIX
Listing NGR: TQ2936780512
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings