This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3774 / 53°22'38"N
Longitude: -2.4793 / 2°28'45"W
OS Eastings: 368210
OS Northings: 386838
OS Grid: SJ682868
Mapcode National: GBR CY4D.10
Mapcode Global: WH98S.WCKM
Plus Code: 9C5V9GGC+X7
Entry Name: Lymm War Memorial
Listing Date: 8 April 2019
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1463402
Location: Lymm, Warrington, WA13
Civil Parish: Lymm
Built-Up Area: Lymm
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Tagged with: War memorial
A First World War memorial of 1921, after Sir Reginald Blomfield’s ‘cross of sacrifice’ design, with an additional inscription after the Second World War.
A First World War memorial of 1921 with an additional inscription after the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Woolton red sandstone.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands at the top of a grassed bank surrounded by gravestones to the rear and overlooking the Lymm Dam.
The memorial is based on Sir Reginald Blomfield’s ‘cross of sacrifice’ design, taking the form of a Latin cross with octagonal sections throughout, with a sword of sacrifice carved in relief on both sides of the cross. The arms and shaft have lipped, bossed terminals. The shaft tapers slightly and flares at the base, to a short foot. The cross stands on an octagonal plinth with a three-stepped octagonal base.
The principal face of the plinth bears the inscription, carved in low relief, SACRED TO/ THE MEMORY/ OF THE MEN/ OF THIS PLACE/ WHO FELL IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919/ AND. Below this, at the foot of the plinth and running along three sides, is the dedication ALL WHO FELL/ IN WORLD WAR II/ 1939 – 1945.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Lymm as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. A memorial committee, chaired by Maj WK Kershaw, was formed to lead the creation of the memorial, which was unveiled on 17 July 1921 by Lt Col T Ridgway. The memorial was dedicated by Rev HE Maddox with Lt Col CT Alexander reading the Roll of Honour. Mr and Mrs Thomas J Ridgway placed a large wreath in memory of their son Issac Althorp Ridgway, followed by the placing of personal tributes from other relatives of the fallen men. At the end of the service the memorial was given into the charge of the incumbent and wardens of the church of St Mary the Virgin, in whose grounds the memorial stands (NHLE 1226650).
Following the end of the Second World War a dedication to the fallen of that conflict was added to the memorial. The memorial does not list any names but plaques bearing the names of the fallen from the First and Second World Wars are located within the church.
Lymm War Memorial, a First World War memorial of 1921 with an additional inscription after the Second World War, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* for the strong design interest of the octagonal-section Latin cross, closely based on Sir Reginald Blomfield’s ‘cross of sacrifice’ design.
* with the Church of St Mary the Virgin (National Heritage List for England 1226650) in whose grounds the memorial stands and which houses plaques naming the fallen.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings