This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5317 / 51°31'54"N
Longitude: -0.0763 / 0°4'34"W
OS Eastings: 533533
OS Northings: 183179
OS Grid: TQ335831
Mapcode National: GBR W5.02
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.MRJM
Plus Code: 9C3XGWJF+MF
Entry Name: The Geffrye Museum
Listing Date: 3 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226772
English Heritage Legacy ID: 424239
Location: Hackney, London, E2
Electoral Ward/Division: Haggerston
Built-Up Area: Hackney
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Chad Haggerston
Church of England Diocese: London
1. KINGSLAND ROAD E2
(The Geffrye Museum)
TQ 3383 30/281 3.1.50.
Erected circa 1715 by the Ironmongers' Company on land purchased by the bequest
of Sir Robert Geffrye (d 1704). Long, U-shaped range of 2 storeys and basement,
15 bays in side wings and 20 at either side of central chapel in main east range.
Chapel is taller, with 2 long, round-headed, windows flanking door in architrave
with cornice on consoles, and tablet over with inscription. In niche above reproduction
of figure of founder. Pediment above with clock and bell-cupola over. Whole building
is of stock brick with red brick dressings and stone quoins to chapel. Tiled roofs,
original, wood modillion cornice. Sash windows with glazing bars (mostly replaced)
in moulded flush frames. Every 5 bays a 6-panel door with radial fanlight (replaced).
Semi-circular stone steps to main entrance, plain steps to others, all with cast
iron handrails. Small 1-storey lodge at west end of south wing. Almshouses acquired
by LCC in 1910 and opened as a museum of the furniture trade in 1914 after internal
alterations, mainly removal of upper floors and breaching partitions. Small graveyard
to north of building.
Listing NGR: TQ3353383179
Other nearby listed buildings