This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5004 / 51°30'1"N
Longitude: -0.1973 / 0°11'50"W
OS Eastings: 525227
OS Northings: 179475
OS Grid: TQ252794
Mapcode National: GBR C9.2YK
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.JKL5
Entry Name: 2-16 and 20-28 (even) Stafford Terrace
Listing Date: 7 November 1984
Last Amended: 26 September 2012
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1226797
English Heritage Legacy ID: 424274
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, W8
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Campden
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Abbots with Christ Church and St Philip Kensington
Church of England Diocese: London
Terrace of town houses, built 1868 by Joseph Gordon Davis.
MATERIALS: stock brick and stucco with slated mansard roofs.
PLAN: one of two facing terraces of 14 houses, each of three main storeys plus basement and attic. Each house is of two unequal bays, with the staircase to the left and the principal rooms to the right.
EXTERIOR: typical large mid-Victorian town houses, built in an Italianate style with much stucco trim to the street elevation. The houses are identical save for minor later modifications. Each has a raised entrance in the narrower left-hand bay, set within a porch with channelled rustication, Doric half-columns, dentil cornice and balustrade; the window above has a segmental pediment on scroll-brackets. To the right, a polygonal bay window – with similar rustication, cornices and balustrade – rises from the basement through to the first floor. The second-floor windows have simple architraves, and the façade is crowned by a rich cornice (wave-scrolls and dentils) and balustrade. In the attic above are segmental-headed dormers.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: some houses retain spear-topped area railings with separate gates and bell-pulls marked 'VISITORS' and 'SERVANTS'.
Stafford Terrace was built in 1868 by Joseph Gordon Davis, who developed much of the surrounding Phillimore Estate from the mid-1850s onwards.
Nos. 2-16 and 20-28 Stafford Terrace are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: an imposing and little-altered terrace of large mid-Victorian town houses;
* Group value: with the identical facing terrace (Nos. 1-27) and also No. 18 (Linley Sambourne House), which is separately listed at Grade II*.
Other nearby listed buildings