History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thurlow, Haverhill, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1335 / 52°8'0"N

Longitude: 0.4527 / 0°27'9"E

OS Eastings: 567967

OS Northings: 251188

OS Grid: TL679511

Mapcode National: GBR PDP.78W

Mapcode Global: VHJH3.SMPV

Plus Code: 9F424FM3+93

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 19 December 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227189

English Heritage Legacy ID: 424828

Location: Little Thurlow, West Suffolk, Suffolk, CB9

County: Suffolk

District: West Suffolk

Civil Parish: Little Thurlow

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Little Thurlow St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Withersfield

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/10/2018

TL6751
832/22/350
LITTLE THURLOW
CHURCH ROAD
Church of St Peter

(Formerly listed as Church of St Peter, LITTLE THURLOW)

19.12.61
II*
An early C14 church with C15 square tower of random stone and flint, with angle buttresses and a castellated parapet with knapped flint and stone chequer work.

The clerestory windows on the south side are C17, circular. The nave is of flint, stuccoed, with a slate roof. There is a C12 square font with angle-shafts and panels carved with floral motifs. The three-sided altar rail is of the mid-late C17. The traceried dado of a C15 screen remains, with some original colouring. A Jacobean family pew has fret cut upper panels. On the north side of the chancel is the Soame's Chapel, Jacobean with semi-circular arches having arabesque carving on tile soffits and pendants to the roof. It contains the fine marble and alabaster tomb of Sir Stephen Soame (d1619) who built the chapel and was Lord Mayor of London in 1593. It bears the recumbent figures of Sir Stephen and his wife and the kneeling figures of their sons and daughters. There is early C17 stained glass in the oval window of the chapel. There is the brass of a Knight and Lady circa 1520.

Listing NGR: TL6796751188

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.