This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1311 / 52°7'51"N
Longitude: 0.4498 / 0°26'59"E
OS Eastings: 567776
OS Northings: 250914
OS Grid: TL677509
Mapcode National: GBR PDP.6KD
Mapcode Global: VHJH3.RP4P
Plus Code: 9F424CJX+CW
Entry Name: The Old House
Listing Date: 19 December 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1227210
English Heritage Legacy ID: 424867
Location: Little Thurlow, West Suffolk, Suffolk, CB9
Civil Parish: Little Thurlow
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Little Thurlow St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 09/10/2018
The Old House
(Formerly listed as The Olde School House, LITTLE THURLOW)
The school was founded in 1614 by Sir Stephen Soame who also endowed the almshouses. A red brick building, now a dwelling house.
Two storeys and attics. Three window range. (1:1:1), the central part, of one window range, breaks forward and has a porch on the ground storey. The windows are mullioned and transomed casements (Renewed in the C20), with rusticated stucco surrounds. Sir Stephen's coat of arms is carved in a panel above the Tudor arched doorway and there is a latin inscription which reads "MELVIS DE REPVBLICA MERVNT QVI IVVEM TUTEM INSTITVENDAM CVRAVARE QVAM QVI IP SOS LIBEROS". The doorway has the original boarded and studded door and lock. The spandrels to the arch are carved with foliated ornamentation. Roof tiled, with a red brick chimney stack with three octagonal shafts on a rectangular base.
Old House, Manor Farmhouse, Gurton Barn, Trudgetts, 120 The Street with 116E-116F The Square, Lavender Cottage, Cock Inn, The Old Post Office, 123 and 123A The Street, Street Farmhouse and Corner Cottage form a group.
Listing NGR: TL6777650914
Other nearby listed buildings