History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Martock, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9687 / 50°58'7"N

Longitude: -2.7688 / 2°46'7"W

OS Eastings: 346112

OS Northings: 119091

OS Grid: ST461190

Mapcode National: GBR MH.M8B9

Mapcode Global: FRA 562K.559

Entry Name: Court House

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Last Amended: 28 April 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227536

English Heritage Legacy ID: 424985

Location: Martock, South Somerset, Somerset, TA12

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Martock

Built-Up Area: Martock

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Martock

Listing Text

MARTOCK CP WATER STREET
ST 4619 (West side)

12/332 Court House (formerly
listed as the Old Grammar
School)
19.4.61

the address shall be amended to read:

ST 4619 MARTOCK CP WATER STREET
(West side)

9/332 Court House (formerly
listed as The Church
House)
19.4.61

------------------------------------

MARTOCK CP WATER STREET
ST 4619 (West side)

12/332 Court House (formerly
listed as the Old Grammar
School)
19.4.61

the address shall be amended to read:

ST 4619 MARTOCK CP WATER STREET
(West side)

9/332 Court House (formerly
listed as The Church
House)
19.4.61
-------------------------------------------------

ST4619 MARTOCK CP WATER STREET (West side)

12/332 Court House
(formerly listed as the Old
Grammar School)
19.4.61

GII
(Shown as Church House on OS Map).School and court house.Dated 1661,but this is misleading;building probably late C16.Ham stone ashlar facade,squared rubble to sides with ashlar dressings;plain clay tile roof between stepped coped gables;brick chimney stacks.Two storeys with attic,eight bays irregular fenestration.Hollow chamfer mullioned windows with four-centre arched lights,carver spandrils under flat arches without labels,all two-light above and lower bays one and two,this last set lower;three-light windows to lower bays three,six,seven and eight;all lower windows diamond leaded:to lower bay four a false three-centred arch doorway without label,with a large stone panel over bearing the arms of William Strode of Barrington(who acquired part of Martock manor in 1637),and the legend"SCHOLA TRILINGUIS DEUS TRIN/UNI DEO GLORIA MARTOCK/ NEGLECT NOT THY OPPURTUNITIES/FUNDATA ANNO DOMMINI 1661".In the south gable a two-light window with label at ground floor level:in north gable similar' windows at first floor and attic levels,also a first floor doorway approached by stone stairs with solid balustrade,probably C19,replacing in earlier stair going in opposite direction.In rear elevation a near-triangular arched doorway with two-light,mullioned window over,then projecting stair turret with small stair lights,also a C19 red brick extension;another mullioned window uncovered during works in June 1985.Inside the ground floor layout altered:the north room has a chamfered cambered arched fireplace and a nine-panel ceiling with deep moulded beams;the south partition a plank and muntin partition from elsewhere replacing one removed in 1970s;the next room has deep chamfer beams with step and runout stops,and a C18 beaded surround fireplace in the front wall;traces of other plank and muntin partition and a wide fireplace in the south gable with chamfered timber cross beam,adapted in later C20.In rear turret a stone newel stair,with four-centre arched doorway to landing:first floor has the former courtroom at north end(undergoing restoration June 1985)with graffiti in window reveals including some of pre 1661;in north gable,two four-centred arched doorways,one to outside and one to attic stair:roof of arched collar roof trusses,without windbraces,with an unusual scarfed joint to ends of collars of C16 rafter than C17 type.The building referred to as the court house when the school was refounded in 1661-2,but an earlier school was set up in Martock in 1636 by Thomas Farnabie,celebrated educationalist, and on the evidence of the graffiti must have been here:by 1644 the "parish house" and "school house" were synonymous.The school closed for a while in 1820 but re-endowed in 1832 only to close in 1860:in the meantime it is said to have doubled as a poor house.It was purchased by the parish as the church House in 1872,was used for a while to house a branch of the County Library,and was sold as a private house in 1975.(VCH, Vol III,1974);Saunders,Notes on the History of the Hundred of Martock,Western Gazette,1935).


Listing NGR: ST4611219091

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.