History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pattenden and Garden Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Martock, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9687 / 50°58'7"N

Longitude: -2.7685 / 2°46'6"W

OS Eastings: 346131

OS Northings: 119088

OS Grid: ST461190

Mapcode National: GBR MH.M8DH

Mapcode Global: FRA 562K.57J

Entry Name: Pattenden and Garden Cottage

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Last Amended: 28 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1227282

English Heritage Legacy ID: 424976

Location: Martock, South Somerset, Somerset, TA12

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Martock

Built-Up Area: Martock

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Martock

Listing Text

Pattenden & Garden Cottage, Water Street.
12/325
9/325

------------------------------------

Pattenden & Garden Cottage, Water Street.
12/325
9/325

------------------------------------

ST4619 MARTOCK CP WATER STREET (East side)

12/325 Pattenden and Garden Cottage
(formerly listed as Ivy Lodge and
attached stabling)
19.4.61

GV II

Former vicarage, now private bosses. Early C19. Ham stone ashlar; hipped Welsh slate roof; brick and stone chimney
stacks. Two storeys, 3 bay north elevation. Sash windows in plain openings with keystones, 16-pane above and 6-pane
below, no window lower bay 2. West elevation of 2 bays with a 16-pane sash window to upper bay 2, blank per bay 1; to
lower bay 1 a 6-pane sash window, and to bay 2 a Regency pattern 6-panel door set in open stone porch having slim
Tuscan style columns and pilasters, plain entablature and flat roof, the whole flanked by 2 slim single light windows
in hollow chamfer and recess mould surrounds. Garden Cottage is a southwards extension set lower, with a 2-light
mullioned window, then in a former full height wing wall a later window and a boarded door in plain recess, to the
right of which is a 3-centred keystoned arch with double doors, and then a small 2-storey outhouse having pantiled roof
to coped gable. a 3-light hollow chamfer mullioned window below and a loft door above. Interior not seen. This appears
to have been the vicarage site in the C18; by 1815 the house was let, but by 1824 the vicar was again resident.
possibly immediately alter the rebuilding. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).


Listing NGR: ST4613119088

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.