History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

8, the Whinlands

A Grade II Listed Building in Thorpeness, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1814 / 52°10'52"N

Longitude: 1.614 / 1°36'50"E

OS Eastings: 647162

OS Northings: 259839

OS Grid: TM471598

Mapcode National: GBR YZN.6WH

Mapcode Global: VHM7X.XFML

Entry Name: 8, the Whinlands

Listing Date: 2 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1228498

English Heritage Legacy ID: 403099

Location: Aldringham cum Thorpe, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP16

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Aldringham cum Thorpe

Built-Up Area: Thorpeness

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Aldringham with Thorpe St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Thorpeness

Listing Text


TM45NE ALDRINGHAM THE WHINLANDS
CUM THORPE Thorpeness

7/10017 Nos 8


GV II


House. 1910-14. By Frederick Forbes Glennie as part of the Thorpeness village development for Glencairn Stuart Ogilvie. Probably concrete block with applied timber framing on brick plinth.
Hipped roof of pantiles. 2 storeys with central gable and long 5-light window. Below are 2 3-light casements, the right-hand within a recessed section forming a verandah. Part-glazed door and porch to right. Further casements to sides. Rear ridge stack. INTERIOR. Not inspected. Part of a good group set between the Ogilvie Almshouses (qv) and Westbar (qv). Included for group value.
Historical Note: The owner of Thorpeness Estate, Glencairn Stuart Ogilvie, himself conceiving the project, designed and sketched out the whole village and commissioned the architects involved

Listing NGR: TM4716259839

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


TM45NE ALDRINGHAM THE WHINLANDS
CUM THORPE Thorpeness

7/10017 Nos 8


GV II


House. 1910-14. By Frederick Forbes Glennie as part of the Thorpeness village development for Glencairn Stuart Ogilvie. Probably concrete block with applied timber framing on brick plinth.
Hipped roof of pantiles. 2 storeys with central gable and long 5-light window. Below are 2 3-light casements, the right-hand within a recessed section forming a verandah. Part-glazed door and porch to right. Further casements to sides. Rear ridge stack. INTERIOR. Not inspected. Part of a good group set between the Ogilvie Almshouses (qv) and Westbar (qv). Included for group value.
Historical Note: The owner of Thorpeness Estate, Glencairn Stuart Ogilvie, himself conceiving the project, designed and sketched out the whole village and commissioned the architects involved

Listing NGR: TM4716259839

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.