History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Westbar

A Grade II Listed Building in Thorpeness, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1807 / 52°10'50"N

Longitude: 1.6149 / 1°36'53"E

OS Eastings: 647230

OS Northings: 259767

OS Grid: TM472597

Mapcode National: GBR YZN.73M

Mapcode Global: VHM7X.YG34

Entry Name: Westbar

Listing Date: 26 January 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287172

English Heritage Legacy ID: 403091

Location: Aldringham cum Thorpe, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP16

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Aldringham cum Thorpe

Built-Up Area: Thorpeness

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Aldringham with Thorpe St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Thorpeness

Listing Text


TM45NE ALDRINGHAM WESTGATE, Thorpeness
CUM THORPE

7/10014 Westbar


GV II


Gatehouse with accommodation and water tank. 1929 by William Gilmour Wilson as part of Thorpeness village development for Glencairn Stuart Ogilvie. Concrete, faced with brick and timber framing. Plaintile roofs. Medieval military style. Symmetrical composition comprising 6-storey gatehouse tower flanked right and left by dwellings of 3 storeys and dormer attic. Tower has depressed archway in centre at second-floor level, with suspended timber-framed accommodation below, leaving a square-headed coved carriageway beneath. Clasping corner buttresses rise from base to parapet. Fenestration mainly of timber casements with leaded panes to east side, metal casements to west side. Upper 2 stages of tower depend on ecclesiastical precursors: 2 pairs of square-headed lancets to each face with 2 2-light Y-tracery belfry windows above. These elements separated by brick pilaster strips. Crenellated parapet. To either side of tower are holiday flats, the ground floors faced with brick, upper floors timber framed. Mullioned timber windows and gabled roofs. One tall studio light in flat-topped dormers to each side of west face.
INTERIOR. Not inspected; but upper 2 storeys of tower contains water tank. Part of a good group and one of the principal buildings in this resort village.
Historical Note: The owner of Thorpeness Estate, Glencairn Stuart Ogilvie, himself conceiving the project, designed and sketched out the whole village and commissioned the architects involved.


Listing NGR: TM4723059767

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.