History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Winscombe and Sandford, North Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3008 / 51°18'2"N

Longitude: -2.8359 / 2°50'9"W

OS Eastings: 341818

OS Northings: 156075

OS Grid: ST418560

Mapcode National: GBR JD.Y9CL

Mapcode Global: VH7CT.SKMN

Entry Name: The Hall

Listing Date: 30 June 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1229670

English Heritage Legacy ID: 404468

Location: Winscombe and Sandford, North Somerset, BS25

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Winscombe and Sandford

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Axbridge

Listing Text

ST 45 NW WINSCOMBE WINSCOMBE HILL
3/10000 The Hall

II
House. 1855 by William Railton and remodelled and extended c1858-1871 by
William Burges for Rev John Augustus Yatman. Coursed and dressed
limestone with ashlar dressings; later work has buff, probably Ham Hill,
dressings; slate roofs with ashlar ridge and end stacks; roofs to rear
have Welsh and Westmoreland slate laid to give striped polchromatic
effect.
L-plan with rear left wing. Italianate style, with Gothic Revival
extensions by Burges.
2 storeys. South garden front of 2:2:3:2:2-fenestration. Horned 2/2-pane
sashes set in raised ashlar architraves. 3-window centre flanked by
2-window gables with oculi: steps to pedimented doorway with swept lugs
to architrave and sash extending to floor and used as entry. Outer wings
with 2-window fronts by Burges include ground-floor arcades with
semi-circular arches and plain abaci to short central columns and
imposts. Service wing to left, with gable facing to left of 3-window
front, includes 6/6-pane sashes. Plain conservatory to east (right).
Rear has similar sashes, some of 6/6-panes, and architraves; large
flat-roofed porch with half-glazed door and casements and bracketted
canopy. Rear wing by Burges has tall hipped roof and 4-window east front
with similar architraves to tall above short casements with
segmental-arched doorway to right; pyramidal-roofed tower by Burges at
angle with main range, with polychromatic voussoirs to oculi above
2-light casements and to semi-circular arch with richly-carved foliate
capitals to columns and responds; Yatman rebus and date 1871 to key of
arch.
Interior: Work by Railton includes panelled shutters and doors in
moulded architraves, moulded cornicing and marble fireplaces. Room to
centre of main south range has rococo-style marble fireplace, and a fine
painted neo-classical style ceiling with modillioned cornice. Room to
right has rococo marble fireplace, moulded cornice and panelling with
medallions. Hall to rear of centre has modillioned cornicing, consoles
framing entries to end vestibules and open-well staircase with
barley-sugar balusters. Stained glass by Burges to right of front.
Subsidiary Features: stable range to rear, of limestone ashlar and
rubble with brick dressings to arches and pantile roofs; courtyard plan;
elevations include ashlar door and casement window architraves,
segmental brick arches to carriage entries, and bellcote to east range.
History: Yatman had retired from his Yorkshire curacy to become squire
of Winscombe in 1855. Railton, who designed the Nelson Memorial in
Trafalgar Square, had designed a number of vaguely Italianate villas for
the Ecclesiastical Commissioners between between 1838 and 1848. Yatman
exhibited a remarkable change of taste by his appointment of Burges, one
of the most celebrated and "roguish" Victorian Gothic architects who had
earlier designed the east window in the Church of St James (qv). This
remained as a private house until 1982, after which much painted
furniture by Burges was sold by auction including the "Yatman cabinet"
which is now in the Victoria and Albert Museum.


Listing NGR: ST4181856075

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

ST 45 NW WINSCOMBE WINSCOMBE HILL
3/10000 The Hall

II
House. 1855 by William Railton and remodelled and extended c1858-1871 by
William Burges for Rev John Augustus Yatman. Coursed and dressed
limestone with ashlar dressings; later work has buff, probably Ham Hill,
dressings; slate roofs with ashlar ridge and end stacks; roofs to rear
have Welsh and Westmoreland slate laid to give striped polchromatic
effect.
L-plan with rear left wing. Italianate style, with Gothic Revival
extensions by Burges.
2 storeys. South garden front of 2:2:3:2:2-fenestration. Horned 2/2-pane
sashes set in raised ashlar architraves. 3-window centre flanked by
2-window gables with oculi: steps to pedimented doorway with swept lugs
to architrave and sash extending to floor and used as entry. Outer wings
with 2-window fronts by Burges include ground-floor arcades with
semi-circular arches and plain abaci to short central columns and
imposts. Service wing to left, with gable facing to left of 3-window
front, includes 6/6-pane sashes. Plain conservatory to east (right).
Rear has similar sashes, some of 6/6-panes, and architraves; large
flat-roofed porch with half-glazed door and casements and bracketted
canopy. Rear wing by Burges has tall hipped roof and 4-window east front
with similar architraves to tall above short casements with
segmental-arched doorway to right; pyramidal-roofed tower by Burges at
angle with main range, with polychromatic voussoirs to oculi above
2-light casements and to semi-circular arch with richly-carved foliate
capitals to columns and responds; Yatman rebus and date 1871 to key of
arch.
Interior: Work by Railton includes panelled shutters and doors in
moulded architraves, moulded cornicing and marble fireplaces. Room to
centre of main south range has rococo-style marble fireplace, and a fine
painted neo-classical style ceiling with modillioned cornice. Room to
right has rococo marble fireplace, moulded cornice and panelling with
medallions. Hall to rear of centre has modillioned cornicing, consoles
framing entries to end vestibules and open-well staircase with
barley-sugar balusters. Stained glass by Burges to right of front.
Subsidiary Features: stable range to rear, of limestone ashlar and
rubble with brick dressings to arches and pantile roofs; courtyard plan;
elevations include ashlar door and casement window architraves,
segmental brick arches to carriage entries, and bellcote to east range.
History: Yatman had retired from his Yorkshire curacy to become squire
of Winscombe in 1855. Railton, who designed the Nelson Memorial in
Trafalgar Square, had designed a number of vaguely Italianate villas for
the Ecclesiastical Commissioners between between 1838 and 1848. Yatman
exhibited a remarkable change of taste by his appointment of Burges, one
of the most celebrated and "roguish" Victorian Gothic architects who had
earlier designed the east window in the Church of St James (qv). This
remained as a private house until 1982, after which much painted
furniture by Burges was sold by auction including the "Yatman cabinet"
which is now in the Victoria and Albert Museum.


Listing NGR: ST4181856075

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.