This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3059 / 51°18'21"N
Longitude: -2.8456 / 2°50'44"W
OS Eastings: 341152
OS Northings: 156653
OS Grid: ST411566
Mapcode National: GBR JD.XT3R
Mapcode Global: VH7CT.MFJQ
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33275
Location: Winscombe and Sandford, North Somerset, BS25
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Winscombe and Sandford
Built-Up Area: Winscombe
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 45 NW WINSCOMBE CHURCH LANE
9.2.61 Church of St James
Parish Church of St James the Great. Originally C.13 now C.15, restoration
and Chancel of 1863, some C.20 restoration. A nearly complete perpendicular
church, chancel rebuilt Early English. Coursed ashlar, some rubble, mainly in
south aisle and chancel, freestone dressings: leaded roofs. West tower, nave,
north aisle, north porch, south aisle, chancel, north and south chapels. 4 stage
tower with set back buttresses connected across the diagonal and full height
half-hexagon stair turret. First stage has heavily moulded pointed west door,
string and restored west window. Second stage has part closed 2 light windows
on moulded cills with lozenge stops. To west, one light has carved lily and vase
on either side as crocketed niches, now empty, a residual Annunciation. To east
one niche contains statue of St James. Third stage has 2-light blank windows.
Buttresses become diagonal and slighter, then crocketed corner pinnacles. At
fourth stage, three 2-light windows per side are divided by plain shafts which
rise to subsidiary pinnacles. Outer lights blank, centred pair louvred.
Quatrefoil pierced parapet. Stair turret rises higher, capped and crocketed at
north-east corner. 2 storey north porch has 3-light cusped window under dripmould.
Spiral stair in eastern polygonal turret leads to first floor (timbers being
replaced 1983). North aisle and chapel have pierced parapet, quatrefoils in
lozenges, which rises at each end as for pitched roof. South aisle and chapel
have parapet pierced by trefoils in triangles. Rood stair in polygonal turret
with panelled and crocketed pyramidal cap. Blocked west door. Plain chancel
with 3-light lancet window. Interior: 5 bay arcaded nave, quatrefoil shafts with
hollow waves, plain circular capitals apart from stiff leaf capitals at north of
chancel arch and south of north chapel arch. Lierne vault to tower. Nave has
victorian timber roof with mock hammerbeams with pairs of angels. Panelled
timber roof to chapels and north aisle is original. South aisle retains angel
corbels. Plain chancel of 1863. Glass: East window of north chapel has a good
C.15 crucifixion group. (Restored 1850). Similar glass in chapel's north window
includes made up figures as does a contemporary group in the easternmost window
of the south aisle. Chancel north window given by Peter Carslegh and with the
3 St Peters is early C.16 with some Renaissance detail, putti and fleur-de-lys.
South window has C.19 pictorial glass. Glass in the chancel east lancets of
pre-Raphaelite appearance is by W G Saunder, dated 1863. Fittings: good, straight
benches with traceried ends. C.13 font of heavy circular plinth and capital
form in south aisle. Grand victorian two-tier brass chandelier in nave. Monuments:
1. Chancel south wall, plain tablet, M Taylor 1701. 2. South aisle, 2 tablets,
weeping women on darker ground, 1791 and 1823. 3. Tower, 8 tablets, late C.18/C,19,
draped urns on darker ground - several to Knollis family, Sources: Pevsner:
BoE), North Somerset and Bristol. Woodforde: Stained glass in Somerset.
Harrison: Victorian stained glass. Wright: Church Towers of Somerset.
Listing NGR: ST4114856654
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings