History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wearhead Methodist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanhope, County Durham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7481 / 54°44'53"N

Longitude: -2.2175 / 2°13'3"W

OS Eastings: 386094

OS Northings: 539258

OS Grid: NY860392

Mapcode National: GBR DFYJ.QQ

Mapcode Global: WHB38.XX6F

Entry Name: Wearhead Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 5 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1230042

English Heritage Legacy ID: 404881

Location: Stanhope, County Durham, DL13

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Stanhope

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Heatherycleugh

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Saint Johns Chapel

Listing Text

STANHOPE A689(North side)
NY 83 NE
Wearhead
18/125 Wearhead Methodist
Chapel
II


Primitive Methodist Chapel. 1826. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar
dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable coping. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Central
renewed door under round arch with voussoirs on impost blocks; flanking round-
headed windows and upper segmental-headed windows have arches with voussoirs;
thin projecting stone sills; renewed glazing. Low-pitched roof has left end
coping and chimney. Interior: boarded above boarded dado except for plastered
ritual west wall. Panelled ceiling, diagonally boarded, with carved corner
brackets in each panel, and ceiling roses around ventilators. Gallery around
3 sides, supported on tapered cast iron columns; ornate bracketed cast iron
balustrade. Corbelled keyed east organ arch. Panelled central pulpit at east
end flanked by panelled screen. Communion rail on cord-twist balusters with
ivy-leaf brackets. Memorials include tablets to members of Humble and Peart
families, transferred from Lanehead chapel (q.v.), to Harrison and Featherstone
families, to members of the congregation who entered the Primitive Methodist
Ministry between 1826 and 1926, and to those who died in the First World War.

Source: P.A.G. Clack and K.E. Pattinson, Weardale Chapels, Durham 1978.


Listing NGR: NY8609439258

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.