History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Petronilla

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whepstead, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1919 / 52°11'30"N

Longitude: 0.68 / 0°40'47"E

OS Eastings: 583278

OS Northings: 258238

OS Grid: TL832582

Mapcode National: GBR QFJ.JQV

Mapcode Global: VHJH1.Q5TH

Entry Name: Church of St Petronilla

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Last Amended: 27 January 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1230460

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405379

Location: Whepstead, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP29

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Whepstead

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Whepstead St Petronilla

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Whepstead

Listing Text

TL 85 NW WHEPSTEAD CHURCH ROAD

4/129 CHURCH OF ST PETRONILLA

(Formerly listed as Church of
14.7.55 St. Petronella)

II*


Church; mediaeval, restored 1869. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch,
north vestry. Flint rubble walls, mainly rendered, with limestone dressings;
porch of knapped flintwork. Plaintiled roofs except for slated vestry, and
nave with large riven slates; parapet gables. Square chancel arch piers late
C11 or C12, with roll-moulded jambs; the arch with chevron mouldings built
1869, but some voussoirs from the original arch were found during the work and
reused for a C19 doorway in the tower staircase. Late C13 2-light windows with
quatrefoil heads in the nave. Mid C14 alterations include: Y-traceried 2-
light windows in nave and chancel and 3-light east window (nave windows on both
sides have piscina bowls cut into the dropped cill, and on the south side
integral steps up to the rood loft); chancel piscina; moulded south doorways
to nave and chancel, both with good C19 battened and boarded doors, the nave
door traceried. The gabled south porch almost rebuilt early C20, but retaining
lower part of C14 flint rubble walling with limestone quoins; the arched
doorway renewed except for lower jambs; an original stoup in the south wall.
C15 tower with moulded west doorway, and 3-light traceried window above
flanked by cinquefoiled niches. The upper level much altered, possibly in 1582
(date scratched on S.E. Buttress) with 2-light belfry openings. C19 alterations
include reconstruction of nave roof of hammerbeam type, and addition of gabled
vestry against the C14 north doorway; the C19 pulpit incorporates 2 early C17
arcaded panels with marquetry inlay. Some fragments of assorted mediaeval
stained glass reset in roundels in south chancel window. Wall tablets in
chancel to: Johannes Ryley (d.1673) and General Sir Francis Hammond (d.1850).
In the chancel, 2 tomb-slabs of Purbeck marble, possibly of C14 priests, and 6
C18 floorslabs of black marble.


Listing NGR: TL8327858238

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.