History in Structure

Church of The Holy Cross

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bobbington, Staffordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.5125 / 52°30'45"N

Longitude: -2.2842 / 2°17'3"W

OS Eastings: 380810

OS Northings: 290550

OS Grid: SO808905

Mapcode National: GBR 08V.KB9

Mapcode Global: VH917.C39R

Plus Code: 9C4VGP78+28

Entry Name: Church of The Holy Cross

Listing Date: 27 June 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1230544

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405288

ID on this website: 101230544

Location: Holy Cross Church, Bobbington, South Staffordshire, DY7

County: Staffordshire

District: South Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Bobbington

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Bobbington Holy Cross

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


SO 89 SW

SIX ASHES ROAD (north-west side)
Church of The Holy Cross



Parish church. C12 core with minor C13 alterations, early. C14 addition and alterations, some minor C16 rebuilding and mid-C19 additions; restored 1878 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. There are four main phases of masonry: roughly coursed rubble, probably C12; coursed and roughly squared large sandstone blocks of the early C14; C16 ashlar and C19 rock faced ashlar. Plain tile roof with coped verges. Four-bay nave and single-bay vestry in one, north aisle and vestry in one, south-west porch tower.

South-west tower: mid-C19. Three stages marked by strings, pilaster buttresses at the outer angles die into the tower immediately above the level of the first string; dentilled eaves and low pitch pyramidal roof which gives the tower a strangely Italianate look. Pointed south door with three roll-moulded orders, the central one has a fillet; roll-moulded dripstone with block stops. Paired second stage lancets; two-light belfry window with plate tracery.

Nave: on the south side a C19 lancet and 2 two-light pointed windows of 1878 with Decorated tracery in a style of circa 1290. Tall two-light west window of 1878 with Decorated tracery. Between nave and north aisle a C19 buttress. The west gable has been rebuilt possibly as a result of the 1878 restoration.

Chancel: early C14. Diagonal buttresses to the eastern corners. South door with ogee arch. North and south windows with Y-tracery; C19 east window of three lights with cusped intersecting tracery and scrollmoulded dripstone with block stops. The east gable has also been rebuilt possibly in the C19.

North aisle and vestry: four north windows of similar character but of three different dates. Each consists of two trefoil headed lights with sunken spandrels. The easternmost is C19 and belongs to the vestry extension of 1858; the next window to the west is C14; the other two are C16 but the easternmost was restored in 1878. At the west end a C13 lancet, at the east end a painted vestry door and a diagonal buttresses at the corner.

Interior: C12 nave arcade of semi-circular single step arches on cylindrical columns with multi scalloped capitals and square abaci (c.f. Church of St. Mary [q,v. Enville c.p.]); the easternmost capital remains uncut. Early C14 pointed chancel arch with quarter-round moulded orders and engaged semi-octagonal piers with moulded bases and faceted capitals. C19 nave roof with tie beams and arch braced collars and king-struts and king-posts between tie beams and collars and collars and ridge piece. Another C13 lancet at the east end of the north aisle, this now looks into the vestry. C19 lean-to roof over the aisle. C19 collar rafter roof over the chancel with straight braces to the collars; arch braces to the centre truss and to each end truss.

Fittings: C14 octagonal stone font with blind trefoil headed arcade to basin. Iron bound oak chest hewn out of a single log, probably C13. In the porch a C13 stone effigy of a civilian.

Monuments: Edward and Ann Corbett, erected in 1735, bracketed aedicular tablet with fluted pilasters and broken pediment and a coat of arms; wooden tablet to Edward Careswell, died 1690; tablet to Joseph Stokes, died 1806, reeded pilasters, capped by an urn on a pedestal; elaborate cartouche to To Thomyns Dickins, died 1701; tablet to Mary and Hannah Corbett, died 1792 and 1799, made by W. Stephens of Worcester; tablet to Edward Corbett, erected in 1767 by Charles Corbett, and next to it Charles Corbett's own tablet, he died in 1786; both appear to have come from the same workshop.

Listing NGR: SO8081090550

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.