History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Dower House

A Grade II Listed Building in Badley, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.164 / 52°9'50"N

Longitude: 1.037 / 1°2'13"E

OS Eastings: 607810

OS Northings: 256101

OS Grid: TM078561

Mapcode National: GBR TLC.C0L

Mapcode Global: VHKDP.XVLX

Entry Name: The Dower House

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 19 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1231088

English Heritage Legacy ID: 406124

Location: Badley, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Badley

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Find accommodation in
Stowmarket

Listing Text

BADLEY STOWMARKET ROAD
TM 05 NE

1/8 The Dower House (formerly
listed as Doveshill
Farmhouse)
9.12.55
II

Former farmhouse. Late-mediaeval core with complex C16 and C17 alterations.
Mainly of 2 storeys, the cross-wing also with attics. Timber-framed and
plastered. Plaintiled roofs with axial and external end chimneys of red
brick. C19 small-pane casements at 1st storey, C20 casements at ground
storey. The wing has small-pane C19 sashes. Two C20 boarded entrance doors,
both with open gabled plaintiled porches on wooden posts. In the centre of
the house is a formerly-open hall of C15, or possibly late C14. 3 mutilated
trusses, one with a cambered tie-beam. A post is trenched for a passing-
brace, probably indicating reuse from a C13/C14 building. Tension-braced
studwork, each stud having prominent assembly marks. A hall window, blocked
but complete, has square mullions. Complete coupled-rafter roofs, heavily
smoke-blackened. The house was extended to left in C16, with widely-spaced
studwork with long convex-arched windbraces. A parlour wing was added to
right c.1600, with plain framing and good wind-braced side-purlin roof; it was
extended rearwards in early C19. A further rear wing was added to the service
end in C17. A date of 1604 is associated with the house; this may relate to
the parlour wing extension.


Listing NGR: TM0781056101

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.