This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3575 / 53°21'26"N
Longitude: -2.0394 / 2°2'21"W
OS Eastings: 397473
OS Northings: 384510
OS Grid: SJ974845
Mapcode National: GBR GY6M.85
Mapcode Global: WHBB4.NV1Z
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 27 November 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1231620
English Heritage Legacy ID: 406499
Location: Disley, Cheshire East, SK12
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Disley
Built-Up Area: New Mills
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Disley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 97 84 DISLEY C.P. RED LANE (South Side)
7/40 Church of St. Mary
Church: West tower and porch 1527-1558, remainder 1824-1835 with
aisles of 1828 by Thomas Lee of Barnstaple. Coursed, buff sandstone
rubble with sandstone-dressings and a lead roof. West porch and
tower, nave and 2 aisles of 4 bays and 1-bay chancel. West tower of 4
stages, with angle buttresses and castellated parapet showing the
bases of 8 pinnacles. Surmounted by ornate wrought iron weather vane
moved from Stockport parish church. West window of 3 lights with
straight mullions and 3-light louvred bell opening with each light
round-headed. Sundial on south face. Porch originally on south of
nave, also castellated with crocketted pinnacles and a central cross.
Entrance under slightly pitched plain lintel. Aisles have buttresses
dividing the bays of 3-light windows with intersecting tracery, and
castellated as porch. Clerestorey has 3-light lancet windows in
square, bevelled openings. Chancel is as the aisles but for 3-light
mullioned and transomed east window with trefoil cusped heads in each
element (probably later C19 addition).
Interior: Arcades of 4 bays on plain octagonal piers supporting
4-centred arches. Wooden galleries in arcades and behind tower.
Original early C16 wooden ceiling, over nave, has heavily moulded,
slightly cambered tie beams, with applied foliage and angels at their
centres, sprung from moulded wooden corbels. At the intersection of
the other minor moulded members are flat floral bosses and at the
ceiling's centre a ram's head (arms of the Legh family). Aisle and
clerestory windows have panels of medieval continental glass with fine
Dutch/Swiss east window, dated 1535, depicting scenes from the life of
Christ. The original glass was moved to Lyme Park (q.v.) in 1835.
Fine Gothic, painted and gilded organ case of 1836 by Samuel Renn.
White marble memorial plaque to Thomas Legh, signed A. Gatley Rome
1858. Ornate Gothic stone pulpit and font both dated 1868.
Listing NGR: SJ9747384510
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings