History in Structure

The Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Disley, Cheshire East

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.3569 / 53°21'24"N

Longitude: -2.0413 / 2°2'28"W

OS Eastings: 397349

OS Northings: 384449

OS Grid: SJ973844

Mapcode National: GBR GY5M.VC

Mapcode Global: WHBB4.MW5D

Plus Code: 9C5V9X45+QF

Entry Name: The Vicarage

Listing Date: 17 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1231678

English Heritage Legacy ID: 406853

ID on this website: 101231678

Location: Disley, Cheshire East, Cheshire, SK12

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Disley

Built-Up Area: New Mills

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Disley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Tagged with: Clergy house

Find accommodation in


SJ 97 84 DISLEY C.P. RED LANE (South Side)

7/43 No.l (The Vicarage)


Parsonage: Core later C17, altered and added to 1861 perhaps by
A. Darbyshire for William Legh. Washed and pebble-dashed rubble with
stone dressings. Kerridge stone-slate roof with stone copings and
kneelers and a stone ridge. 2 plastered brick stacks. Later C17
plan, 3-unit lobby entry house, adapted in 1861 into double-pile house
with 2 parallel ridges. 2-storey, 4-bay front, in Gothick style. To
right, canted bay windows on both storeys with horned sashes and no
glazing bars. Left end and third bay, 6-pane sashes in chamfered
stone surrounds with hood moulds on ground floor. In second bay,
there is a projecting, coped, gabled, porch with a lancet, with
entrance to left in chamfered stone surround with 4-panelled door
behind, under plain, broad, pointed arch and Gothick fanlight.
Interior: 3, C15 cambered tie beams carved on both sides, are visible
in the first floor ceiling. Lower halves are heavily moulded and
there are 3 flank shields above, central ones flanked by trefoil
moulding. 2 moulded beams survive on ground floor, in hall an ovolo
moulded, in kitchen chamfered with flat and tongue stop. Staircase of
C.1860 has trefoil pierced iron balusters with hexagonal newels with
moulded panels on each face. Former box pews with quatrefoil
mouldings; now landing cupboards:

Mrs Marshall (S. Marshall, "Disley Vicarage and Sir Piers Legh V",
Trans. Lancs. and Ches. Ant. Soc. 1982, 133-140) argues that core
fabric belongs to early C16 chantryhouse. However, the carved beams
have been shortened and they support a later roof truss. Nevertheless
they must have been re-used from a locally important building.

Listing NGR: SJ9734984449

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.