History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stourton Castle

A Grade II Listed Building in Kinver, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4621 / 52°27'43"N

Longitude: -2.2086 / 2°12'31"W

OS Eastings: 385922

OS Northings: 284931

OS Grid: SO859849

Mapcode National: GBR 1BW.LFC

Mapcode Global: VH91G.NCRV

Entry Name: Stourton Castle

Listing Date: 10 January 1973

Last Amended: 18 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1232008

English Heritage Legacy ID: 407320

Location: Kinver, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DY7

County: Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Kinver

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Kinver St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Kinvere

Listing Text

KINVER C.P. STOURTON
SO 88 SE
11/102 Stourton Castle (formerly
listed under Bridgenorth Road)
10.1.73
GV II
Large house on the site of a medieval castle. The house incorporates
some late Medieval and C16 works but was remodelled and partly rebuilt in
1832-33 in a late Gothic style by James Foster from designs by Sir Robert
Smirke. Red brick; plain tile roofs with shaped gables; brick stacks.
Main front of 1832-3 to the west, incorporating a late Medieval gate tower;
C16 ranges to the north, south and east enclose the other 3 sides of a
formerly open courtyard which was roofed over by Foster. West front:
2 storeys with moulded brick parapet band and plain parapet. 1:3:1 bays;
central range recessed between flanking gabled wings, mullioned and transomed
casements with raised surrounds, windows of central range have small gables
over with psuedo-arrow slits matching those of the wings. Central 3 storey
gate-tower with moulded off-sets and crenellated parapet; rendered and
lined as ashlar; pointed entrance with moulded surround, second storey
window has 2 trefoil-headed lights under a segmental pointed arch. In
the re-entrant angles between central range and flanking wings are diagonally
placed 2-storey bays with parapets and windows of 2 round-headed lights;
the left hand bay has a 4-centred doorway. Interior: totally remodelled
1832-3. Plaster fan vaulted entrance with figure corbels; the courtyard
is now an entrance hall with Tudor-style stone fireplace. V.C.H. Vol. XX (1984),
pp. 130-2.


Listing NGR: SO8592284931

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.