History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal Bratch Locks, Bridge Number 47 (Bratch Bridge) staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal Upper Bratch Bridge and Associated Toll House

A Grade II Listed Building in Wombourne, Staffordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5419 / 52°32'30"N

Longitude: -2.1968 / 2°11'48"W

OS Eastings: 386749

OS Northings: 293797

OS Grid: SO867937

Mapcode National: GBR 19X.PD9

Mapcode Global: VH912.WC0R

Entry Name: Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal Bratch Locks, Bridge Number 47 (Bratch Bridge) staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal Upper Bratch Bridge and Associated Toll House

Listing Date: 18 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1232421

English Heritage Legacy ID: 407805

Location: Wombourne, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire, WV5

County: Staffordshire

District: South Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Wombourne

Built-Up Area: Wombourne

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Wombourne St Benedict Biscop

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Trysull

Listing Text

WOMBOURNE C.P. STAFFORDSHIRE AND WORCESTER-
SO 8693-8793
SHIRE CANAL
13/157
Bratch locks, bridges No 47
(Bratch Bridge) and 48
(upper Bratch Bridge) and
associated toll house.
GV II
3 locks, 2 bridges and a toll house. Circa 1770, toll house added circa 1800,
further alterations of the late C19. Red and blue brick, the bridges and toll
house are painted white. Flight of locks separated from each other by the
2 bridges. Bridge No 48 is C19 and has a single segmental arch. Bridge No 47 is
C18 and incorporates a flight of steps to the canal, it was widened in the C19 by
an addition to the south. 2 storey octagonal toll house attached to Bridge No 48
with doors at the level of both the middle and upper locks; semi-circular arched
panels to each face at first floor level, most containing fixed light glazing bar
windows. The Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal was opened in 1772, the
enginer was James Brindley.


Listing NGR: SO8674993797

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.