History in Structure

Church of St Philip and St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Tow Law, County Durham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.7453 / 54°44'43"N

Longitude: -1.81 / 1°48'36"W

OS Eastings: 412328

OS Northings: 538941

OS Grid: NZ123389

Mapcode National: GBR HFSK.YQ

Mapcode Global: WHC4M.5ZCK

Plus Code: 9C6WP5WQ+4X

Entry Name: Church of St Philip and St James

Listing Date: 5 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1232516

English Heritage Legacy ID: 407895

ID on this website: 101232516

Location: St Philip and St James's Church, Tow Law, County Durham, DL13

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Tow Law

Built-Up Area: Tow Law

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Tow Law

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Tow Law


NZ 13 NW (East end)

23/311 Church of St.
Philip and St.
Parish church. Circa 1867-1869 by C. Hodgson Fowler. Roughly-squared coursed
sandstone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings;
stone spire. Nave with west porch and south-west tower; chancel with north
vestry. Decorated style. Full-width porch has two 2-centred-arched doors,
boarded and with elaborate hinges, under continuous drip string which is a
sill string for 3 central lancets. Wide buttresses with steeply-coped setback
under gabled coping of pent roof. Large wheel window above and octagonal tower
at right. Tower has buttresses on alternate sides, with slit windows to stair
and shouldered-arched belfry openings, under octagonal spire with lucarnes.

3-bay nave has paired lancets in first 2 bays, lancet and 2-light window in
third; 2-light window and lancet in chancel. 5-light east window under 8-foiled
roundel. Steeply-pitched roof has stone cross finials; weather-cock finial on

Interior: coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. King-post nave roof
with arch-braced scissor trusses on stone-corbelled brackets; chancel has
panelled wood barrel vault, 2-centred chancel arch of 2 orders, the inner on
short shafts with clasping rings. Windows have wide 2-centred rere-arches.
Similarly-shaped organ arch and drip-mould over trefoil-headed vestry doorway.
Full-width painted panel below east window; wood-panelled chancel. Unusual
rood screen composed of varnished applied cones and other fruit. Glass includes
east window in memory of M.H. Simpson, first vicar; north windows signed E.
Smyth Sc. (c.1945) and Stanley Murray Scott 1965. Other windows original leaded
lights in rectangular and lozenge patterns. Stone pulpit with open balustrade
and marble shafts; square stone font on pedestal and 4 shafts. High-quality
doors and original fittings, with stencilled felted draught curtains to inner

Listing NGR: NZ1232838941

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.