This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2799 / 53°16'47"N
Longitude: -0.7794 / 0°46'45"W
OS Eastings: 481482
OS Northings: 376570
OS Grid: SK814765
Mapcode National: GBR RZ0H.1Z
Mapcode Global: WHFGK.0T4G
Plus Code: 9C5X76HC+W6
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1233511
English Heritage Legacy ID: 409020
Location: Laneham, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22
Civil Parish: Laneham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Laneham
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 87 NW
CHURCH LANE (east side),
Church of St. Peter
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, restored 1891, porch restored 1932. Ashlar and dressed coursed rubble. Lead roofs with parapets. Buttressed. Tower, nave, north aisle, south porch and chancel.
C12 tower with C15 diagonal buttresses and battlements. West doorway with double chamfered pointed arch and continuous hood mould. Above is an arched two-light Y traceried window and continuous hood mould with carved human head at the apex. The four bell chamber openings each consist of a pair of arched lights with hood mould and label stops. There is a small carved human head to the centre of the western opening. The diagonally buttressed north aisle is set on a plinth with moulded band over and has in the west wall a single pointed arched light with hood mould. The north wall has a chamfered pointed arched doorway with damaged hood mould. To the left are two C14 three-light windows with reticulated tracery, cusping, hoodmoulds, label stops, and flat arches. The east wall has a single-arched three-light C14 window with cusped tracery.
The chancel, heightened in the C15, has C12 herringbone masonry to the north west side. There is in the north wall a chamfered pointed arched doorway and to the left a single C14 three-light window with cusped reticulated tracery under a flat arch with hood mould and label stops. The angle buttressed east end has a C19 five-light arched window with cusping, hood mould and label stops. The south chancel has a single arched and cusped light with hoodmould to the left is a single C13 lancet and further left a single two-light window with single stone mullion under flat arch and with hoodmould and label stops.
The south nave with some C12 herringbone masonry has a single arched three-light window with tracery, cusping, hoodmould and label stops, that on the right being a human head. To the left is a single arched three-light window with cusped tracery,
hoodmould and label stops. The south porch was rebuilt in 1932 using some of the C14 timbers, timber framed with studded panels set on an ashlar plinth. Tile roof with decorative bargeboard. The inner arched and restored doorway, with reputedly C12 wooden door with long iron hinges and some scroll work, has an inner order of C12 roll moulding flanked by two slim colonnettes with late C12 waterleaf capitals supporting C12 arches decorated with zigzag on front and soffit and enriched with rosettes. The hoodmould is decorated with globular quatrefoils.
INTERIOR: early C13. Three bay arcade with complex moulded pointed arches supported on columns with eight shafts, alternating shafts are decorated with fillets. Each column is set on to a square base. Flankinq the central arch are single fleur-de-lys. The low small part blocked round C12 tower arch now has a doorway with wooden door under flat arch. The C12 chancel arch has an outer order of roll moulding supported on scalloped capitals and engaged columns, there is an inner arch with square edges which rests on imposts. There is some C12 herringbone masonry to the south wall and the chancel. In the south chancel wall is a niche and a piscina, both rectangular. Above the west doorway is a carved grotesque. To the left of the south doorway are remnants of an aumbry.
The C12 round ashlar font is decorated with tall arcades and set into the base of an arcade pier. The panelled pulpit, inscribed "Soli Deo Honor Et Gloria" and the plain chamfered benches are C17. The panelled vestry screen is C18. There are two oak chests both with iron fittings, that in the nave is large and decorated with three rosettes, possibly C13, the second, in the vestry, is plain C16. The base of the altar table, decorated around the edges with a scroll pattern, is C16. On the south nave wall is an early C19 alms board. The eastern most window of the south aisle has a fragment of C14 stained glass depicting the Virgin enthroned. The nave roof is C17.
In the north aisle are two monuments. To Grace Minnitt, 1835 and to William Minnett and his children,1827, both are plain surmounted by single urns. In the chancel is a large, fine and elaborate restored alabaster monument to Ellis Markham and his son Jervase 1636. Comprising two kneeling figures facing east and in early C17 garments. The background comprising a classical aedicule with Corinthian columns supporting an open pediment with foliate decoration on the soffit and supporting two skulls and central helmet. Under the apex of the pediment is a bracket decorated with a cherub's head. The inscription is surrounded by carved garlands. There are several C18 and C19 floor slabs.
Listing NGR: SK8147876567
Other nearby listed buildings