This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.254 / 53°15'14"N
Longitude: -0.7992 / 0°47'57"W
OS Eastings: 480207
OS Northings: 373674
OS Grid: SK802736
Mapcode National: GBR QZVT.R7
Mapcode Global: WHFGQ.PGMR
Plus Code: 9C5X7632+J8
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1233804
English Heritage Legacy ID: 409381
Location: Ragnall, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, NG22
Civil Parish: Ragnall
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: East Drayton with Dunham-on-Trent, Darlton, Ragnall and Fledborough
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 87 SW RAGNALL MAIN STREET
4/57 Church of
Parish church. Restored and enlarged 1864-7 by Ewan Christian.
Dressed coursed rubble with ashlar chancel and south aisle.
Slate roofs to all but the chancel which is lead. Coped gables
with single ridge crosses to the east end of nave and chancel.
Single stack to east end of south aisle. Buttressed, except for
the tower, and set on a plinth. Tower, nave, chancel and south
aisle. Embattled tower with pyramidal roof and single 2 light
window under a flat arch with hood mould and head label stops.
There are 4 rectangular openings in the bell chamber. The south
wall has a single trefoil with clock face over. The north aisle
has a 4 centred arched blocked doorway with moulded surround and
hood mould and worn label stops over. To the left are 2 C15
arched windows each with 3 cusped lights, panel tracery and hood
mould. The north wall of the C19 chancel has a single 2 light
window with cusped reticulated tracery under a flat arch. To the
left is a further traceried and cusped 2 light window under a
flat arch, with a hood mould. The diagonally buttressed east end
has an arched 3 light window with intersecting tracery. The
south chancel has a single 2 light C14 window with cusping and
under a flat arch. The C19 south aisle east wall has a single
C14 2 light window with cusping and under a flat arch with hood
mould. The south wall has a horizontal C19 window consisting of
4 quatrefoils, to the left is a doorway with wooden door. The
south nave has 2 arched windows each with 3 arched lights, hood
mould and worn figurative label stops. The C19 moulded arched
south doorway has a hood mould with head label stops. The west
wall has a single arched C19 traceried and cusped light with hood
mould and head label stops. Interior. The inner chamfer of the
double chamfered chancel arch is supported on engaged octagonal
columns with moulded capitals. The tower arch is double
chamfered. The south east nave/south aisle double chamfered arch
is C19. The chancel/south aisle 2 bay C19 arcade has a shaped
column decorated with crocketed capitals, double chamfered arches
are supported at east and west by similarly decorated imposts.
On the north chancel wall is a monument to William Reason, 16?,
decorated on the crown with a broken pediment and decorative
cartouche, and on the apron with skulls and crossbones. There is
a further monument to William Mellish, 1690, the sides being
decorated with stiff swags, the apron with cherubs' heads and the
crown with an arch surmounted by 2 urns and a central decorative
cartouche. The furniture is C20 and the octagonal font C19.
Listing NGR: SK8020773674
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings