History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mill House Farmhouse and Cottage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Adlington, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3079 / 53°18'28"N

Longitude: -2.1407 / 2°8'26"W

OS Eastings: 390718

OS Northings: 379007

OS Grid: SJ907790

Mapcode National: GBR FZH5.BX

Mapcode Global: WHBBH.23WX

Entry Name: Mill House Farmhouse and Cottage

Listing Date: 14 April 1967

Last Amended: 6 July 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1234119

English Heritage Legacy ID: 58179

Location: Adlington, Cheshire East, SK10

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Adlington

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Prestbury St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Prestbury

Listing Text

SJ 97 NW ADLINGTON C.P. LONDON ROAD
(West Side)

6/13 Mill House Farmhouse and
Cottage (formerly listed
as Mill House)
14/4/1967
II*

Formerly dower house, now a farmhouse and a house: dated 1603 for Sir
Urian Legh with mid C18 and early C20 alterations. Timber framed with
brick and plastered infill. Kerridge stone-slate roof, 1 massive
brick and 1 massive stone lateral chimneys, the latter with 3 diamond
shaped stacks. E-shaped plan, 2-storey north front. Projecting left
end has 6 by 4 timber frames coving under gable and herringbone work
in the gable. C20 2-light mullioned and transomed window below and
2-light casement above. Central section has projecting 2-storey
gabled porch with ovolo-moulded entrance with date in decorative panel
above. Behind open porch is a 6-board studded door in rebated
ovolo-moulded case. Above is 5-light chamfered mullioned and
transomed window with lattice leaded glazing and a small 2-light
window in gable. To left of porch is a replaced 10-light mullioned
and transomed window with 6-light original mullioned window above. To
right is a 12-pane sash. Projecting right end has 6 by 4 timber
frames with angle bracing to ovolo moulded tiebeam and herring-boning
in gable. Windows are replaced 5-light mullioned and transomed.
Other original windows survive in sides of projecting gables. To
sides and rear, walls are partly replaced in rubble stone and brick.
Interior: some alterations to the plan but majority of timber framed
partitions intact. In hall the ceiling beams have added C18 moulded
soffits and a reeded coving throughout. Unusual 6-panelled door to
attic stairs and another 6-panelled and a 4-board door survive
elsewhere. Roof trusses not visible but wind bracing to purlins.


Listing NGR: SJ9071879007

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.