This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4863 / 51°29'10"N
Longitude: -0.1737 / 0°10'25"W
OS Eastings: 526898
OS Northings: 177955
OS Grid: TQ268779
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.5C
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.YW0Z
Entry Name: 107, 109 and 111, Old Church Street
Listing Date: 1 November 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1235213
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425827
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW3
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Stanley
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Chelsea St John with St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: London
The following building shal be added:
OLD CHURCH STREET
TQ 2677 NE (west side)
Nos. 107, 109 and 111
Terrace of three houses. 1914-5 by F E Williams of the firm
Cox and Williams. Narrow hand-made bricks with exceptionally
tall brick stacks, slate roofs. No.109 handed to share common
steps with No. 111, otherwise all have a long, narrow two-bay
plan with a single room to the front, a deep bay to the rear,
and a central stair and hall lit by an internal courtyard.
This is a plan characteristic of Cox and Williams's work.
3 storeys, attic and basement. A single composition, the
central No.109 steps forward under a rendered pediment set
with an Adamnesque medallion and swag. The whole composition
is held together by a very deep eaves cornice. All windows are
lead lattice casements, save altered dormer to No. 109. Those
to the first floor are a tripartite composition with central
round-arched French windows, inspired by Norman Shaw, leading
on to a wooden balcony featuring a turned baluster balustrade
in unpainted timber. Ground floor windows have central
projecting 3-light oriels. Nos. 107 and 109 have original
6-panel doors, square leaded top-lights and door furniture,
all have panelled door surrounds and iron area railings.
No.109 is denoted by a massive projecting sign in the form of
No. 107 has internal fanlight to vestibule. The central
hallway has an elaborate turned bluster closed-string stair
with box room under lit by an oval leaded light. All the rooms
have exaggeratedly concave moulded cornices. Interiors to Nos.
109 & 111 not inspected but said to be the same in style and
Recommended as an important example of the work of these
interesting and little-known architects, whose distinctive
style is reserved for a select group of prestigious town
houses. The whole forms an impressive and complete group, in
its own right and in the context of its surroundings.
Chelsea Metropolitan Borough Council Minutes, 30 September
The Builder, 27 August 1915
Listing NGR: TQ2689877955
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings